A discussion about heating the house

(switch off javascript and the paywall doesn't work.)

Harry looks a complete plonker - mandatory leftycunt beard - probably sandals and over decorated pullover.

And so trusting....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

go to Telegraph. click on Ublock origin Disable javascript for the site reload

You get the editorial content, most of the pictures but not the comments

- but since its infested with eurotrolls trying to make out brexit is a disaster anyway, that's no big loss.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, looks like disabling scripts does it - it didn't previously I think:

<quote>

Harold Armitage and his wife, Susan, have lived in their Thirties bungalow in Herefordshire for nine years. Mr Armitage, a retired energy-efficiency engineer, bought the property as a DIY energy-saving project and spent four years converting it at a cost of £19,000.

Measures installed include quadruple glazing, extensive insulation, solar water heating and solar PV panels.

The bungalow also has a wood-burning stove and water saving devices.

Mr Armitage, 65, believed his net annual benefit was almost £4,000 as a result of reduced energy bills and income from the feed-in tariffs on the solar PV panels.

He said: ?It takes a fair amount of determination to do a conversion as a DIY project, but the technology has existed for years.

?It was expensive, but we?re hedging against tomorrow?s fuel prices.?

He said: ?It?s been apparent to me for years that the government has mucked up our power supply. There?s no need for anybody in this country to have energy poverty.

?The house is designed for maximum efficiency and the exterior looks no different from any other house.?

Keith and Kathryn Searle have lived in Buckinghamshire for 30 years, in a Seventies property which they have made more energy efficient over time.

[continues]

Mr Armitage and Mr Searle are among those opening their energy-efficient homes to the public for SuperHomes week, from March 16-24. Visit

for more information. </quote>

and if you go to that site it gives details:

It appears not to have changed hands since 2003, so I presume they're still there.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Actually a racist bigot.

Reply to
ARW

Except some bugger's just turned it into flats & shops

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe don't make them out of wood, though?

Reply to
Andy Burns

simpler than that, just turn off javascript.

Reply to
Andy Burns

there may be space for a small nuclear reactor in the cellars of Westminster Palace, what could possible go wrong?

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

But ever since installing Pi Hole, well in excess of 50% DNS requests made get dropped as they are listed on a DNS blacklist I maintain.

So all the ads and trackers do not get loaded, pages actually load faster and scroll better even with a 500 MBit/s fibre connection.

Reply to
SH

That's worked. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not saying a Pi Hole is a bad thing, just that to block individual annoyances, it's not a necessary thing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

ok so you don't mind the around the web clickbait from the likes of Taboola and outbrain?

Thaty you don't mind all the tracking adverts?

That you don't mind the trackers that track exactly you do with your mouse around t he webpage?

That you don't mind being profiled by ad companies on what websites you peruse?

That you dopn't mind browser fingerprinting that can uniquely identify you from every other surfer?

The list goes on.....

S.

Reply to
SH

I think there is still a "services" building with diesels, pumps, and a thermal store across the river at that estate with district heating that was designed to use the power station cooling water. You could put a (very small) reactor in there.

Reply to
newshound

Ah yes. I forgot about that.

Did you know that Marx - the man who inspires Black Lives Matter, was a complete racist bigot, as well?

Yet none of these Marxist organisations seem to want to 'cancel' him....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuck. Have they? I thought it was a museum

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Almost nothing, sadly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think without the cooling tower a RR 320MW SMR would occupy the same sort of space as a large warehouse in an industrial park

And that might well be where they end up. After the existing reactor sites are used up - these are in general 1.2GW each and could be ramped up to maybe 3GW like Hinkley point is supposed to be.

If you include the old Magnox station sites there must be 10 sites with at least partial grid connectivity and cooling water.

That could be 30GW - then you have the old coal power station sites.

Drax was a 4.7GW site - there's no reason why they couldn't also replace their wood burners with SMRs,

The real issue is that there are no technical issues with throwing up to

60GW of nukes at the grid. The problems are all public perception and politics.

The exact opposite of renewables, where the problems are all technical.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you thinking of Tate Modern in the bankside power station?

Reply to
alan_m

Almost certainly...

Reply to