A bit of speaker updating

In case you need a tidy technique for enlarging a cut-out in timber, this seemed to work rather well:

John Rumm

Well done, although that last paragraph was a cross between Jilly (hic) Goolden and John (Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width) Bluthal!

Reply to
Graham.

That's the hard way.

Cut a piece of wood to fit across the back of the hole and put a bit of packing on the middle to bring it approximately flush with the front..

Get hole cutter in drill and make new hole.

Remove the piece of wood.

Reply to
dennis

How do you hold it there?

That's a pretty big hole cutter if you mean the 'tank' type so do you mean a fly cutter of some sort?

How did you hold it in in the first place?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Easier generally to use a router and guide to cut out speaker holes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Router would have been my first choice, fwiw.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But aren't there lips on either side of the cabinet making the front face unflat? I guess you could pack the middle up to match?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup the classic trap of trying to describe how something sounds!

Reply to
John Rumm

ok if you have a 162mm hole cutter... (also see comments about not wanting a case full of sawdust)

Reply to
John Rumm

To be fair I did consider routing out a "ring" of wood and just planting it on the face of the cabinet and sitting the speaker on that.

Reply to
John Rumm

There are, but one could make a flat template guide with the required hole in it and sit that on the top of the speaker. The use a bearing guided bit to follow it. If building new cabinets from scratch it would be the way to go.

Once working with an assembled case it would be hard not filling the case with chips though (which given its a reflex transmission line design (i.e. folded tapering wave guides), with copious amounts of wadding in it, would be difficult to get out since its all glued together)

Reply to
John Rumm

FWIW I was thinking of running it around freehand following the tape, but the objections are of course valid.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Interesting, but recently I have noticed just how buggered up my hearing is. Some music which used to sound so 'full' is now missing chunks of frequencies and the originals sound like poor imitations. This is very noticeable when hearing something from way back which I haven't heard for a long time :(

Reply to
Richard

Well yes if you have a router.

Do one pass with a bearing on the bottom to leave a rebate and then put the bearing on the top and trim the rebate off.

Its a bit more expensive than some double sided tape, some scrap wood and a cheap hole cutter. It also depends on there being enough area for the base or using a router table.

Reply to
dennis

All you need is to provide a centre for your router guide if increasing the size of the hole. Any rebates needed (if say the speaker unit fits flush with the baffle) made first, before cutting the main hole. You may have to do some hand router work for fixing lugs etc.

I have a pretty cheap router hole cutter that came from Lidl that is just great for this. Most traditional routers can't go down to a small enough radius for things like tweeters. Neither of my other ones do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought he was auditioning for a guest column in What HiFi :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

"still the deep easy open base response"

Well at least you didn't confuse low frequencies with a fish, or a bottled beer...but a slang name for a street drug...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sadly a risk from DIY if one does not take care as well!

Reply to
John Rumm

Although you highlight I can't spell bass ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Your cabinets are totally glued together? Fairly rare, I'd say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)