58w fluorescent on a PIR

So instead of replacing a bulb you've got to replace the fitting, and for many people that means an electrician. Crazy.

I can't imagine many mfrs running their LEDs so conservatively that they outlast a house. The less time they spend on the harder they can hammer them & still get tolerable life expectancy. Businesses are there to profit, not to go under.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I just replaced the entire fittings with LED ones. Of course they are nothing like as bright as the old 300w tungsten. But just about adequate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it means you are going to get a decent light from it and a long life I'd be happy.

Others seem perfectly happy with much less light than they had before.

I've yet to find any say 100w equivalent that actually is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're referring to GLS 'bulbs', check out the 3 quid 12W 1500Lm LES and BC 2700K/6500K offerings in Home Bargains or else the 1521Lm 14W versions sold for 8 quid a box of two in Asda (I think they're warm white). Be prepared to see a 10 to 15% higher reading on your digital watt meter (plug in energy consumption meter) than what's marked on the lamp though.

Ever the optimist, I'm assuming those wattage and light output figures are a minimum consumption and light output obligation when run at the bottom end of the mains supply voltage tolerance range (207vac) and the higher wattage (and resulting light output) is merely the consequence of our *actual* 240vac mains supply. :-) If I'm wrong then the manufacturers/ suppliers will have a lot of explaining to do when the ASA are called upon to investigate yet another case of 'False Advertising'.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

if so they'll be joining a very long queue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr