3 phase

The meter rating isn't a maximum current rating. Think of it more as the current load it is calibrated at for maximum accuracy.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I looked this up when considering a replacement UPS for our computer room - we wanted single phase output not three but as it turned out that was infeasible. I came to the conclusion that the key was in the definition of 'low voltage'. Since this was high enough to include the

415v between phases I deduced that 3 and single were therefore the same throughout the regs. I was not entirely happy with that, so we segregated the room into three areas, one per phase, and put up with the current imbalances. We also put "Warning 415 volts" notice at the door - really to warn an electrician that it was 3 phase in the area.

Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

My view is that it comes under Health and Safety these days. A risk assessment would show that there is an increased risk to people if you mix phases, so segregation should be considered as a solution to the problem. In a new installation, it is not difficult to achieve.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Interesting - is there any regulatory basis for this, or is it just good practice ?

I was at a craft show a couple of weekends ago, housed in an old warehouse. Big empty floorspace and no electricity, so there was a spark up in the ceiling, hanging a big plywood DB with a dozen or so double metalclads on it and a big 3-phase plug. Judging by the coloured stickers, the phases were mixed on adjacent sockets.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mmm. I think its regs. single phase sockets on different phases at least

2 meters apart.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The spark was marking the sockets with coloured stickers to make sure he, and anyone else, knows which phase each socket is supplied from. The same should be done on sockets that would not normally be marked if they are not to the 2mtr spacing rule. The markings must be clearly visible.

Reply to
BigWallop