2-way light switch

Why would you want to rewire the lights just because they are in singles? I meant to say there is no correct way to wire lights :) There was a t that should not have been there on my last post.

There is nothing wrong with singles. If all your switches and fittings are earthed and the cable is in good order then you would be rewiring for nothing. The switches will take 3 cables per connection and you can easily get 4 earths into a back box earthing terminal.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

The figure of 8 stuff is 6241Y cable. I looks like a figure of 8 (when made by some manufacturers) as the outer grey/white (and in the 70's red) PVC insulation has a larger circumference around the insulated live than the bare CPC that runs along side it. A better description would be a capital letter B with the bottom half of the B been done in lower case. It is not a true figure of 8.

Hope that makes sense. You are correct that it is not rubber as the OPs house was built in 1970s.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I thought they had to be accessible though?

Reply to
Sam

I am confused. Neither method involves having a neutral at the light switch.

Reply to
Sam

The mechanical joints (terminals) in the cable are only at the switch plate and 'loop in-loop out' ceiling-rose though.

Reply to
Jerry

Under floorboards is considered accessible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can't really use those ceiling roses where the connections are all accessible from below with other than pendant lights - which have rather gone out of fashion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But surely not if there is a junction box under the floorboards somewhere?

Reply to
Sam

Is that so? That could be my get-out-of-jail card. The thing is, how does someone else know that they are there when they want to say, re-wire, later on? They would tug the wire and nothing would happen! That's why I thought they had to be visible?

Thanks, Sam.

Reply to
Sam