13A socket in toilet (not bathroom)

Presumably they have to close for the 'other' breaks, as well as when they pop over to the cafe?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nice idea - lateral thinking. If we were a 'normal' shop (one that made a trading profit) then we could probably do that.

As it is, we're organised as a co-op - and our income (from members' subscriptions) is spent on shop expenses like rates, rent, insurance, electricity.

'Staff' are volunteers rather than employees.

Probably sounds weird - but it works!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Yes, of course. I guess the distinction is between closing for 5 minutes while you go & get a take-away drink, rather than closing for 10 or 15 mins while you go and sit in a cafe & drink that drink.

I can't drink hot coffee anyway - so (other issues aside) it makes sense for me to get a take-away and let it cool down in the shop until it's drinkable...

Anyway - looks like the solution is to ban the kettle. As my name's on the insurance, I'd rather not be liable for any kettle-related injuries.

Thanks all for the different perspectives

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

There has been some right bollocks posted on this thread. If hot coffee was such a threat, no-one would be selling it. Being shut down by H+S? Bollocks. They'll tell you to move it if it is a danger. Take suitable precautions, put the kettle behind barriers/desks so that no-one but staff can get access to it. Tell them that hot drinks must be kept away from the public i.e., at the back of the customer facing area, not the front etc. If you are that worried, ring them up (Local council hygiene dept, or Safety at work dept), and ask them to visit you, or give advice over the phone. They dont shut people down or fine them without reason, and having a kettle on the shop floor is not a capital offence, they'll just tell you where to put it, and you'll be happy.

Get a sense of perspective.

Reply to
A.Lee

Understood. I'm less concerned about the H&S or Hygiene folks - but more about the real risk of somebody tripping over a kettle full of boiling water that's sitting on the floor in a public area.

There aren't any barriers or desks - it's a small, rented, two-room shop, with a tiny till / counter area, and the only mains sockets are within the shop display area - so there isn't really anywhere else to put the kettle.

We've got 5 coffee-shops within 100 yards, alternatively some folks have said that they're happy to bring flasks. Problem solved!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

And wearing safety goggles, gloves & a hi viz vest whilst drinking.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did anyone mention one of those (not plumbed in) 'instant' kettles that boil just what is needed?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed, so move it...

Can it not go under the counter? Access to that area is presumably less public.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and the till plugs in to something.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Depending on the volume concerned and how the cafe is organised, you might be able to strike a deal. You phone, they deliver.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I did think of that... That location's probably _more_ hazardous than _less_

- also under the counter (it's l-shaped and about 3ft x 2ft) are

bags & packing material till rolls & etc broadband router power supplies for credit card terminal & phones music system small oil-filled radiator 'sold' items waiting for collection (and any other clutter that accumulates from time to time)

As most of our folks either get take-out drinks or bring a flask, it's not really going to be a problem to lose the kettle...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

You forgot safety boots, in case you drop the heavy mug!

Reply to
Adam Funk

speaking of which - Grand Designs (tin mine pump house) TV last night

- a *professional* scaffolder & stone mason dropped a large stone on his presumably unprotected toes- eeouch looked nasty... but if anyone should've been wearing steelies????

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

How many langauges is it in ;-)