12.99 battery drills in rober dyas

Yes. It's one of IMM's little foibles that he thinks real pros use cheap power tools. Each time I visit a building site - and I visit quite a few in connection with my work - I look out for them. Still looking. Of course they're all in London where perhaps the tradesman have more sense than those he says he works with. Indeed I'd say they'd have to be pretty misguided to let him anywhere near real work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So it was more expensive, and also made 10 years ago ? How do you think it would stack up against a current Bosch ? My point is not that your drill isn;t a good one, but that a 40-something current Bosch isn't much to shout about.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Kaiser" wrote | "IMM" wrote | > [snip dribble] | You must be in a minority,

IMM usually is.

| ... don't think I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

How long d'you think IMM would last on site then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

misinformation not worth reading

Reply to
IMM

Good question. A while back, I bought an 18V green Bosch, which was definitely poor compared to the competition. That was ~£120. But I don't have any experience of lower priced current Bosch drills.

I'd still hope it would be a whole load better than the ultra cheapies. But maybe that isn't the case anymore.

Reply to
Grunff

I have seen all those, and Wickes drills too. DeWalt are expensive crap.

Reply to
IMM

Perhaps you'd give details of a site you've seem where the tradesmen use domestic cheap tools? Be nice to check you're not just making it up as usual.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think we are all missing the point here. Big difference between 'made cheaply' and cheaply made'.

We now have mass production, electronics, high grade plastics, JIT manufacturing, bulk purchasing and cheap oriental labour.

Bosch etc used to make huge margins on power tools. I mea HUGE. Bosch sales reps used to have annual sales conferences in Spain, any car they wanted and open ended expense accounts. Now they meet in Watford, drive a basic Mondeo and have strict cost controls.

I work for a multi national manufacturer of high pressure cleaners. Once we made chassis, heat exchangers, steel work etc in house in Denmark. Now the same 'non critical' components are made in Estonia, Bulgaria etc at approx 50% of the cost for exactly the same item.

Rough guide IMO. If something is 90% cheaper, it probably is crap. If it's 50% cheaper it may well be exactly the same quality.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

[...]

I recently bought a Metabo 12 volt cordless for just under £100, I chose this specifically because I needed a lot of torque for driving big (6mm x 100 and 8mm x 120) screws into fence posts. The Metabo was about the cheapest cordless I could find with torque at or around the

50nM area.

It's the first 'professional' or 'non DIY/cheapie' cordless that I've bought. I already have an old Skil, a Ferm 24v 'combi' and a cheap

9.6 volt green Bosch.

After having had the Metabo for a few months now and comparing it with the 'cheap' tools I have my thoughts are as follows:-

It is better and nicer to use, but whether it's four times better (that's the price differential) I'm not sure.

The speed control etc. is somewhat better but not really a huge amount different.

The thing I really, really like about it is the 'one handed' chuck, brilliant! (The Bosch chuck is particularly bad)

In general now if I take one cordless to a job it's the Metabo but having several is still very useful to avoid bit changes etc.

If one needs something specific (like the high torque I wanted) then it may only be available in a more expensive 'professional' tool.

Reply to
usenet

How can a *question* be "misinformation" ?

[ Dave asked - "Perhaps you'd give details of a site you've seem where the tradesmen use domestic cheap tools? " ]

I don't expect the moron who is IMM to answer that question, he will just snip it as drivel or 'misinformation' !....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It is clear the question is drivel.

Reply to
IMM

[ Dave asked "Perhaps you'd give details of a site you've seem where the tradesmen use domestic cheap tools? ]

It might or might not be, but how is a question "misinformation" ? A question is not information, only the answer is - perhaps the answer was going to be drivel ?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

What was the criteria?

Reply to
IMM

A small subset of the features. However, B&Q didn't phrase their complaint very well and focussed on only four of the features not the whole product so it's partly their fault.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm afraid the obvious answer is IMM has made this up - yet again.

A true pro will use pro tools. It may not matter to an amateur if his shed tools break down and have to be replaced - even for free. But it does to someone making their living out of them - they'd be the laughing stock of their colleagues.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you have a medium end? ;-)

Reply to
mike

You're probably getting a better drill with the Bosch but you'll certainly be paying a premium for the name.

Reply to
StealthUK

Not worth reading..

Reply to