Air Compressor usage & size

Hello,

I just received a "Speedy Sprayer" made by the 'W R Brown Corporation' from my uncle's estate. I'm not entirely convinced it will be of any use other than for paint or pesticide spraying and hoped I might be able to get some details or insight here. It's pretty old (1960s) and I'd hoped to pick up an all around good compressor to keep around for airing up tires, etc; but notice it only has a pressure range of

30-45psi and doesn't seem to have a lot of flow. It seems to run pretty good but again, not a lot of noticeable flow or pressure (pressure at approx 40psi peak). Would you mind telling me what you might know about it or would appreciate any advice on a good automotive compressor where compressor pressures is concerned.

Thanks, John

Reply to
jcage

Are you asking about this?

that a long link. Lots of interesting adds from 1949 though. There must have been a million of those around. Some had a membrane instead of a piston and they used a blow off valve to control the excess air pressure. How times change, what I'd do, what I did, was get a cheap 100=150 dollar Chinese made air compressor actually I think the last one I bought was 88 dollars from Big Lots. After 4 or 5 years it's still running OK. I use it for air tools along with another one for high volume air tools with the air lines connected parallel when I need the extra air. Usually one is enough no faster than I move. Look for something that says it's 1 1/2 to 2 hp 115 volt 4 cubic feet at 90lbs that ought to be plenty for what you are talking about. Air hose, connectors, attachments can add up pretty fast some come with some of this stuff and you can never have to much air hose. And expect to be awakened from naps when the neighbor kids want a bike tire or basket ball aired up. What you don't want is a dinky one that doesn't put out much more than the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in ones although those are really handy when you need them.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Model number makes a lot of difference. Some Speedy Sprayers will work with a 20 PSI compressor, and some require far more.

For a general use compressor for painting, filling tires and running lower demand air tools, you will need a compressor that has a atnk and develops 100 PSI and 4.5 CFM at 90 PSI as a minimum.

Here is a typical example of a low end general purpose compressor:

JohnnyD

And I think the answer about the one he already has it to just try it out. Even with a top pressure of 45 and not a lot of volume, it should be OK for pumping up auto tires.

Reply to
trader4