New to working with copper

I have a 2 3/4 inch copper pipes that were capped off when originally installed. I now want to add on to them. I have heated the caps with a torch until the solder was bobbling, but I cant get the caps off. On one I crushed the pipe end and cap wrestling it off. I don't want to do that to the other. What is the best way to remove the cap?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
CJCoates

Cut it off below the cap. If it's too close to the floor, try drilling a hole in the cap, and then unsoldering it. If that doesn't work, you'll need to get below the floor.

One trick as you try to unsolder the caps, is to get visegrips, and adjust them just barely larger than the copper pipe. Put the grips just below the caps, and tap up on the caps while they're headed.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I usually slide my channel locks up the pipe to tap the cap off.

I like the idea of drilling a hole in the can then pushing a melal wire tied around a nail. through the hole and use it to pull.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

And, if you want to know why it's so hard to pull apart an "old" joint when it's clearly heated above the melting point of solder, it's because intermetallic compounds form over time which have significantly higher melting points than fresh solder does.

Sometimes a joint where intermetallic compound have formed will squeek if you manage to get it to turn, just like it was "rusty".

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If done often get a set of Indian tappet pliers, its the cats meow.

Reply to
Snakebite