Using florists` foam with orchids?

It occurred to me that the foam that florists use for live flower arrangements holds a great deal of water and I was wondering if a disc of it in the bottom of a pot, with expanded clay pellets as the growing medium would work. The foam should keep the pellets moist. Or, pieces of the foam mixed in with clay pellets? It wouldn`t drown the roots, but water would be available. Trouble is, I don`t know how soon the foam would break down. Any thoughts for or against, please?

Kate

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Kate,

It sounds to me like you're reinventing the semi hydro wheel! Go to First Rays and read about SH:

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

It was First Rays` method that gave me the idea. I live in the UK, and am not sure if he posts his special pots internationally. Also, I suspect that the cost of currency conversion and carriage would far exceed that of the pots themselves. I see that his pots have drainage holes well up the sides to provide a reservoir for the clay pellets to soak up, and as I cannot get that kind of thing over here, I thought the foam might be an alternative.

Kate

Reply to
invalid unparseable