Your opinion on an accent tile

I like the color of this piece for a counter top I'm doing, but it's actually thicker than the main tile and thicker than almost all tile I've seen except maybe marble or granite. I'm using 13x13 ceramic which is about

5/16" thick and this accent tile is 3/8". Not too much thicker but do you think it will look odd not being flush? I'ts going vertical so won't be stepped on.

Many other accent tiles at Lowes are this way also.

I went to Lowes and bought it so I have it in hand. I like it being a little thicker but I'll have to sell the house too and don't want the job to look amatuer, even though it is.

Reply to
Reg

The surface will be flush. You will make it that way. Anything else is wrong - particularly for a counter top. Use a bit more thinset under the thinner tile and use a block of wood and a rubber mallet to tap the tile flush.

RicodJour

countertops that are not flush make it extremely hard to use. pans and cutting boards rock, cups tilt, tile edges wear abnormally, things slid over the surface catch, etc.

you could set the field tiles higher than the accent tiles, but that would be a pain for installation.

you, and the next buyer, are going to hate them once they're in.

Reply to
charlie

Rather than trying to raise all other tiles to the height of the thick one it would be much easier IMO just to rout a recess for the one thick one(s). ___________

How can it go vertical on a countertop?

Reply to
dadiOH

Your countertop tiles "are going vertical so they wont be stepped on" ok I agree have another beer

Reply to
ransley

On 8/5/2008 8:35 AM dadiOH spake thus:

I read that as meaning it's going to be part of the backsplash.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

In that case I'd just let it stick up a bit.

Reply to
dadiOH

yes it's the backsplash.

Reply to