Wiring Question - three wires, two hot.

Not wanting to engage in this debate because its over my head.

But, I can add:

I was moving a receptacle.

The wiring in the fuse box is "split" on two 15amp fuses red on left fuse, black on the right.

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your note. I did exactly you describe and all is well!

The receptacle in question was put in by a licenced electrician a few years ago in a basement area where we have a small overflow kitchen. It was surplus and on a dedicated circuit. We do not use the kitchen area as a kitchen...perhaps twice a year will use the oven..thats it.

Hopefully...no code violations!

Thanks to you and everyone else for your input.

You guys are great!

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

The split receptacles with a separate circuit to the top and bottom outlet were required by the Canadian electric code for kitchen receptacles.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

Thanks Again Tom...good to know why that was done.

I really appreciate the help!

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

If it is a kitchen, whether you use it or not, what you did IS a code violation. There is nothing to stop the next owner of your house from using the kitchen.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

How can it be a violation?

He REMOVED an outlet from a kitchen and installed a new outlet from those two circuits in a NEW location. He didn't add anything to the kitchen area.

Reply to
Noozer

No, it's not a 240v circuit. It's just two 120v circuit feeding the small appliance circuit. To save wire, some people run 12/3 rather than two 12/2's.

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Curious, do you have a section? I understand you might be referencing Canada's regs, so I just want to know the basis.

I mean, a whole house's disconnect can be six seperate breakers, so why a receptacle is required to be one?

Thank you for your help,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

I think you are right about meeting current codes. If you do repair or installion of equipment, unless the code allows for certain existing conditions, i believe you need to do work to today's requirements.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

moving meaing you installed it in a new location. So it was a new receptacle?

thanks,

tom

Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME