Winterize home near the Deleware Water Gap

The link that I provided - for a 25 minute youtube video says to use RV antifreeze probably the same as this stuff :

... looks to be about 1/3 of the cost of auto antifreeze ....

John T.

Reply to
hubops

This one says OK for plastic & metal pipes - the cheaper one says plastic only !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:44:58 -0500, Ralph Mowery snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote: ...

Why does he put antifreeze in pipes that he has drained? What is there to freeze?

One webpage I found said "Your RV systems are full of water, such as in the pipes and hoses that run through your toilet, sinks and shower. ... Even if you completely drain the lines, moisture droplets can remain throughout the system - hence the need for antifreeze!"

Yeah, droplets can freeze but they are not big enough to break your pipes so what does it matter if they freeze?

Reply to
micky

MAybe not, but you have a great marketing idea here. Let's come up with someething, whatever, to put into it and we can sell Septic Tank Helper online.

Reply to
micky

RV antifreeze is a lot cheaper. About a third the price at the store.

And making it doesn't use the resources that are needed for the additives of auto antifreee.

And it might make it harder for the city sewage filtration plant to handle extra ingredients. I went on a tour of the main one in Baltimore, but I didn't ask them about this.

Wnhen I first looked up comparative prices, like usual I used Amazon, and in Amazon the prices were similar, but for certain products the cost of shipping dominates the cost of sale. I think because a gallon of AF is so heavy, and big, that might be true here. It seems to be true of Cup Noodles etc. which is 3 or maybe it was 5 times the price when bougth online compared to in a store.

Reply to
micky

Sounds like overkill. I put a tee with a valve stem after the shutoff to make blowing the lines out easier. Drain the toilet tank and throw some propylene glycol in the traps and it all was good.

The major problem I found with winterization was condensation.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't mix them in one setting but I use hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaners for the scale, and chlorine based for general scum removal. The septic tank hasn't blown up yet.

Reply to
rbowman

You are way behind the curve.

rbowman

Can't trust that cherry pop people leave laying around. I haven't had to flush a radiator in years but I was careful when I drained the cooling system. The stuff is sweet so cats and dogs will lap it up.

Gotta watch those google searches...

Reply to
rbowman

Sometimes there can be low places in the pipes that water can collect enough to fill the pipe and burst when frozen. Not likely, but this man just wants to be sure.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Okay, if I had a cottage, I'd want to be sure too.

So IF I wanted to put antifreeze in my pipes, how would I do that?

Put a rubber reverse funnel over the faucets and pour it in from the top. Can it just be turned off at the bottom? Won't it take much longer to fill if it is?

There are two sinks, a bathtub, a shower and two toilets upstairs; two sinks and a toilet on the first floor. I'd have to do all of them, I suppose. How can I fill the pipes going to the toilets or the shower or the tub?

I'm going away again, in january if I can get my PEG tube removed** before then, and in the past I've figured any low spot was in my basement, where it doesn't get freezing cold.

Over the last 30 years, two trips were for November and December, and I think I left the heat on, set for 45 (of course the heat could break).

And 2 of the last 3 trips started in late Feb or March so I missed most of the cold weather in Baltimore. And one might have been early Feb. It's hard to remember.

But this time I could leave Jan 10, and I think I turned off the furnace the last 3 times.

**The doctor who put it in wants 11 weeks lead time before he'll take it out, and as I said another thread, the doctor I called 3 times and form-mailed once last week doesn't call me back. Monday I'm going there in person, so instead of ignoring me they can tell me in person that they reject me.

And I was led to believe that it heals in a week. I found that amazing but lots of sources give that impression. Turns out you have to wear a bandage for a 2 or 3 more weeks, but that's not the problem. It turns out for a few people, according to one of them because her doctor didn't use the procedure that he was supposed to, it takes months. One or both had to use a Wound-Vac, which is some kind of vacuum device that goes on the front of your chest, or the hose does, and promotes healing. I just learned it can take that long, so I wanted to start right away to be healed by January. And I can't buy the airplane ticket until I have a doctor's appt. to do this, and airplane prices are supposed to be going up, plus i might not even get the flight I want.

Today I got my sim in the mail, sent by the european company but mailed from Florida on October 26th via DHL, to Orlando, Charlotte, and it seems maybe to Elkridge Maryland in 3 days, but then it appeared in Greensboro NC and stayed there until November 10, 12 days!!!. And 2 more days to get here. The USPS says that it got the envelope in Charlotte and the USPS page doens't even mention Elkridge, but the DHL page says "Oct 29, 2021 6:46 AM ET Elkridge, MD, US TENDERED TO DELIVERY SERVICE PROVIDER " I can't figure out what's going on but it took 17 days to get her from Florida via DHL/USPS. A good thing I started early.

Reply to
micky

Do you really think the water heater can freeze in a below ground basement? I dont' think my basement would go below 48 even without heat in the house**. Even while it was freezing on the first and second floors?

**Just like it doesn't go above 85 with no AC in the summer.

I don't think it has to fill the traps, just mix with the water that is in the traps to lower the freezing temp to below the minimum temp the house can get.

I can do a shower, a tub, 3 toilets, and 5 sinks with one gallon of RV AF. I think I put in enough.

Reply to
micky

I was trying to drain my broken washing machine.

A few sources said just lower the drain hose close to the ground and it will drain, but little came out and after that, nothing. Maybe because the hose pointed up where it was connected to the machine, and folded over when the other end was lowered.

Then I looked for my drill-operated pump, the really simple kind, and couldn't find it, but from the description, it seemed maybe after 35 years it woudln't work anymore anyhow. (IIUC that style just rubs a hose to move water along.)

Then I thought of buying a pump, but hadn't decided how much to spend.

Finally something I read suggested a wet-dry vac, which I already have, and it did 5 gallons in about 5 minutes. Worked great.

Reply to
micky