Window sills

I just added a new room to my house. I have installed the windows, and now I need to know how far the window sill should protrude past the left and right interior window trim.

Reply to
eskye

It's up to you. If you are good at measurements, you can cut it to go flush with the edges of the trim. If you are not too good, then I would go with at least a 1/2" extension beyond the edge of the trim so that if you screw up, you will still be covered.

I generally tend to stay at about 1/4" beyond the trim.

Reply to
Robert Allison

From flush to a couple of inches. What does the rest of the house have? Mine are about 1/2"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Traditionally the same distance the front of the sill is from the casing..

Reply to
Rick

Look at a hundred windows by different installers/trimmers and you'll probably see 30 different styles.

I like a bit of a reveal-- and I also like a thick apron and a deep sill that will hold a few plants. I've seen sills that wrap around

3 sides of a room- creating a sill/shelf/chair-rail.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You might want to plan ahead and think about what you'll be using the sills for, if anything.

On the sill in this room, I have a little AM-FM radio, a wmls web radio and music player, and where the sill wasn't deep enough, I nailed a board so that I can have a candlabra in the window.

I think my sills are 3 inches, but it's not always enough.

In my bedroom I have a fan on the sill. Hard to find a fan with a base small enough, and even then I had to nail one corner into the sill because the fan is top-heavy (looks like it was riveted to some big machine, to cool the operator.

I am running out of space on the bookshelves next to the bed for all the audio and video things and alarm clocks and books and lamp, so I might have to put the next radio on the window sill. Might have to make that one deeper too, but probably not.

Reply to
mm