Will sea levels really rise if the glaciers melt?

But we don't live in a glass of iced water do we, and also hotter water also takes up more room. Its not just the ice. I'm probably wasting my time replying to this, but it is an interesting subject, nonetheless. The current situation is that the ice is also stuck in a place and when it melts is is free to flow to other places, and as although ice takes up more room than water due to its crystalline form, the fact that much of it is not actually in the sea has to be borne in mind here. A glassier is a frozen river flowing to the sea after all, and if it thaws that water will get to the sea faster.
Of course evaporation has a part to play in the opposite direction, but as sea levels are rising, I think the trend has to be for this to continue to places in the world where land is low lying. End of waffle. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Col. Edmund Burke" <neach69/ snipped-for-privacy@jramy.org> wrote in message
Right Brian you have replied to an obvious troll once too often, so Plonk. Not that you care whether or not I see your stuff I just thought I'd let you know.
On 03/04/2015 15:48, Brian Gaff wrote:

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 07:01:57 -0700, "Col. Edmund Burke"

Essentially you are correct. Assuming nothing happens, like a nuclear war, that makes a fundamental change in the population and the atmosphere, the earth will get warmer. The science is certainly looking that way right now. If we are going to blame CO2 levels, it needs to be pointed out that when you track CO2 for the last 10,000 years, it tracks world population as closely as any other metric, That can easily be explained by agriculture. They cut down forests and plow up grasslands to grow crops. The plants they grow are harvested as soon as they are mature so they are not much of a CO2 sink.
Any global warming plan that is not going to scrub a few billion off the population is simply snake oil sold by hucksters like Al Gore who wants to make billions from a carbon tax by selling worthless "credits" for that money.

Different scenario. Some of the melting ice is sitting on land and will be added to the sea in the form of water.
Repeat your experiment filling the glass with ice, add water to the rim. Now set a couple more cubes on the rim of the glass. That is closer to what may eventually happen.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

PLEASE don't feed the troll
On 4/2/2015 5:40 PM, Rebel1 wrote:

Icebergs are not glaciers -- they are pieces of glaciers which fell off. When they melt they will not raise the level of the ocean but when they fell into the ocean in the first place they _did_ raise the level. If you don't believe that, fill your hypothetical glass to the brim and then, very gently, place an ice cube into it and see what happens.
Unless you've actually been there you would not believe the amount of ice covering the land in Greenland. When it melts, whether in the form of icebergs or not, you better believe that the level of the ocean will rise. And Greenland has a fraction of the amount of ice that Antarctica does.

Now do this again, but substitute a good whiskey or other hard liquor for the water. Now put a mark at the "whiskey" level and wait until the cubes all melt. I'll bet that the level in that glass will have gone down at least 75%, and you'll be seeing TWO glasses!
What this proves:
If we fill all the oceans with booze, we'll have nothing to fear! (except possibly liver damage) :)