Why did back coil refrigerators vanish?

replying to , James Printy wrote: Amen! The only way I can figure how to clean the coils underneath the frig is tape a plastic garbage bag on the front of frig, take back off, and drag my air hose from garage into kitchen and blow the dust out. Garbage bag traps most of dust but not all and cleaning the blade on blower is a pain too. Like to have the old ones with coil on back.
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 11:44:07 PM UTC-4, James Printy wrote: Like

I just bought one with coils on the back. It is a small hotel sized one (not the mini dorm size, but just slightly under 18 cu ft.) I was very careful moving it, those coils run the full height of the fridge and look very fragile.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 03:44:02 +0000, James Printy

They might sell a special brush for this, long and thin.
replying to , OkieEngineer wrote: You nailed it! Under-side coils are impossible to get very clean. And, as they clog-up with dust, the condenser temps go up, which means the compressor pressures go way up, shortening the compressor life. The old-style rear condenser units are WAY more reliable. I've seen them run 40+ years. It might be true that the fan-cooled coils are more efficient, but that efficiency will be gone within a month in most households where the coils will quickly get covered with dust.
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:27:20 -0700, jetgraphics wrote:

I bought a medium size Estate (Whirlpool) top freezer model fridge 2 years ago for beer, pop, and bottled water and the condenser coil is on the back. I think it's around 15 Cu Ft or so. I'm not sure and this is just conjecture but where a larger fridge say 25 Cu Ft needs higher capacity, performance is increased with a forced air condenser. Also makes sense about blowing warm air over the defrost pan as another mentioned.

My theory: look at the volume occupied by a rear-mounted condenser with the appropriate amount of air space behind the fridge (and above it as well). That's a lot of volume that isn't storing anything cold. By using a fan-cooled condenser, the refrigerator case can be about 3 inches deeper and a couple inches higher and still fit into the same space without projecting any further into the room. That gives a significant increase in inside room if the box insulation remains the same thickness, or allows thicker insulation (for better efficiency) while keeping the interior volume the same.
    Dave
no doubt the current style is at least a bit cheaper to build manufacturers will do anything to save a dime multiplied by millions it makes big bucks
9 year old post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!