ptoperty lines

greetings, i am at odds with my neighbor over the exact placement of our shared property line. i have a copy of a survey that was done about 5 years ago that shows our lots and on my lot there is a telephone pole that i am using as a reference point. on the survey the scale is one inch = forty feet. given that, could one say a half inch equals 20 feet, a quarter inch equals 10 feet and an eighth of an inch equals 5 feet. using the pole as a reference, i measured about a heavy sixteenth from the pole to the lot line on the survey map. seems to me that my property extends at least 2 feet past the pole. before i spend about $700 for a surveyor is this a somewhat accurate way of measuring?. thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

While it seems accurate, is the pole in the same place? The one in front of my house was moved last year.

The plat often has a description to follow also. It gives a reference point and measurement from that point. If you do not have it, the original surveyor my be able to provide it at a nominal cost. There should be no reason for a new survey, just a clarification of the existing one. Once done, put in a permanent marker.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmmm, Can't you find pegs buried at 4 corners? The iron rod survey people drove into ground. Metal detector comes in handy. You can rent a detector from ental outfit. With the map you can get pretty close to them and start digging.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

CJ,

You say that you are working from a "copy" of a survey drawing. Why do you believe that this copy maintained the scale of the original drawing? As Mr. Hwang has said, find the property line markers. They should be well described on your copy. A taut string between the two appropriate markers may settle your dispute.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Poles are put on the property line so often that people often assume they always mark the property. Not so. For example on my lot the pole is 4' on my side of the line. It is also fairly common for surveys taken many years apart to show some variation from the original survey, but it is usually measured in inches and not feet.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The drawings are only close. To find the exact property lines you go by the reference points and shoot a line (pull a string is simple) between the points. The reference points are known things on or near the property and then a distance and direction is given from those points on the deed or map.

If a survey was done 5 years ago there should be stakes of flags still there at the corners of the property.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

on 10/13/2007 12:32 PM Ralph Mowery said the following:

Wooden stakes and flags have been known to disappear at night when a neighbor doesn't agree with them. It's best to have permanent markers (metal rods or pipes, set in concrete) installed when a survey is done. It may cost a little more for the extra work, but it is worth it.

Reply to
willshak

No! The surveyor was in to property lines. The pole may not be accurately placed in the drawing. Find some corners.

Reply to
Pat

No.

The only accurate measurement is to shoot a line between corner markers. The copy of the survey "map" is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

The engineering company that was laying out the community my wife built used to always tell here in these lines are within a foot of being right you are lucky. The satellite pictures at leepa.org (the property assessor) are off by as much as 3 feet from recent surveys. My next door neighbor has had 3 surveys in the last 10 years and none agree. There are 3 corner markers driven in the northwest corner of my lot that would barely be covered by a 30 gallon trash can

Reply to
gfretwell

Property in back of my house has changed hands several times and stakes keep moving. Nice because I gained a couple of feet in the last survey. I heard that in a lot of surveys, surveyors may not even come out (they do a paper survey) unless you want markers.

Reply to
Frank

Use a metal detector to find the property poles buried in the ground.

Reply to
Phisherman

the copy was obtained from my construction code authority office.the gal behind the counter said that is the official copy obtained from the surveyor who laid out our community. it is a large print, about 2 foot wide by three foot long. we moved in after the survey was done and i have reason to believe that another neighbor pulled up the original markers.. thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

No one asked why you care. My neighbors and I have kinda agreed on where we take care of the grass, but I haven't the faintest idea where the property lines are. (except that I have deck that extends 6" into my neighbors yard; 16 years ago the lawyer said it doesn't matter, and it seems not to have.)

Reply to
Toller

When you or he decide to sell it could be a big problem. I wouldnt close with someone infringing on a property I was buying nor would a want a property that was infringing on the neighbor's. It will only lead to trouble

Reply to
bigjim

The pole has nothing to do with the actual property line. If you and your neighbor cannot find the actual survey markers and agree that they are correct, you may be able to get a new survey that you both agree with. If you can not come to an agreement on your own, that's what the courts are for. Other than just having something to disagree and squabble about, the exact location of a property line is often not very important.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

My house has sold 4 times since the deck was built, and his twice. Just doesn't seem to be a problem.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
bigjim

over the exact placement of our

And then there are those that can't agree on anything whether it is right or wrong. They just love to disagree.I have a fried who is that minded. Absolutely nothing is positive in his life. What a sad way to live.

Reply to
Jack

Having lived thru a property line war as a kid:( My folks and neighbors really got into it spite fence included. having just driven by our old home I see my grandma must of been right, a new spiffey fence is located where she said it should be:) close to the old offenders home. their spite fence caused driveway troubles:(

In any case around here the ORIGINAL surveyor if done for YOU, will come back and flag the lines or stake them for a modest fee, a fraction of the original cost......

If its just a matter of grass cutting best to ignore issue, esclating dispute can cause much grief:(

Reply to
hallerb