White PVC above ground

My brother hired a contractor to install a sprinkler system. The instructions for the sprinkler valves says to use dark gray PVC above ground but the contractor used white PVC above ground even on the upstream side of the valves (the part that is under pressure all the time). This is in Southern California where we get a lot of sunshine and the valves are on the South of the house and get very little shade.

My brother has not made the final payment yet. What should we do? Should we try to get the contractor to replace the white PVC with gray PVC?

Should we have the contractor paint the PVC to protect it from UV light? If paint would protect the pipes, what kind should be used? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Who specified above ground use, I assume, Schd80 thicker pvc ? Wouldn't imagine anyone would specify use of schd40 on any water that some kid might drink from.

Reply to
bumtracks

I guess I should elaborate...

Perhaps on a water sprinkler system white PVC may be OK. Sorry I panicked, but I had a flashback of an industrial setting where I witnessed a length of white PVC pipe shatter from the stress on it from settling, fatigue, or brittleness in a fairly new installation - about 6 months old. Unfortunately, the pipe contained sulfuric acid and there were 3 maintenance workers repairing one of the 3 pumps next to it. By the time they reached the locker room 50 ft away, their clothing was smoldering rags and they got burned pretty badly. I never since have trusted white PVC for anything but low pressure water or drains. Perhaps the acid made the pipe brittle - I don't know, but glad I'm outta that dangerous place and it's closed down now.

Reply to
Gizmofiddler

They plumb everything on the cold water side with white PVC here in Florida and we have plenty of sun. Just paint it. Unpainted it will still hold up for a few decades.

Reply to
Greg

maybe if they were to use clear pvc, the sun would have nothing to stick to.

Reply to
bumtracks

Yeah but them the water would crystalize and crack !!!

Reply to
oneworld

UV rays make PVC brittle. When it is brittle, it is more prone to breaking if it gets bumped. The gray PVC is gray because it has UV inhibitors and is used as an identifier. I have only seen gray water-type PVC in schedule 80.

Schedule 40 delivers water just fine. White PVC delivers water just fine. White PVC will probably last longer than you keep the house, if it doesn't get bumped by the lawn mower or something. The total issue is exposure to UV. A coat of spray paint, latex to match the house, or red automotive primer (seems to blend well with bushes, bricks, and other decorations well).

DanG

Use clear and your water turns green.

Reply to
Greg

Mine turns orange.

Reply to
default

I always use the gray stuff above ground. The white stuff will work fine as long as it is not subject to any extra physical stress.

I had a some old white stuff break when I bumped it with a hand truck wheel.

The white stuff will become brittle with age due to sun exposure.

You spec'd the material you wanted, have him replace it, negotiate a discount & replace it yourself or just pocket the money & wait for the potential failure

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob K 207

Having been in the industry for too many years, schd40 gray electrical conduit is made from dirty stuff, some recycled stuff even. One look at your hands after unloading a truckload will give you a good idea of just how dirty that stuff really is. Don't want that hooked into my drinking water supply, even a sprinkler system with proper vacuum break might get your water supplier in a uproar if they find out. Besides, must be some valid reason it doesn't have the nsf safe drinking water initials stamped on it along with the UL/NEMA stamps the inspectors like to see.

City here came out and dug up my diy shallow well plumbing, even some sprinkler pipes were dug up because we always have a credit balance on the water bill ... I'm running the meter backwards somehow ;). Well if you pay your bill in advance... expect some dummy to show up at your front door with a shovel and plumbing inspectors standing around enjoying the shade.

Reply to
bumtracks

Electrical gray is very light colored gray, kinda battle ship gray.

Water - type gray schedule 80 PVC is very dark. You will probably not see it at the grocery store lumber yards. Available at commercial plumbing supply houses, may have to be special ordered dependent on sizes. It is often used in chiller lines in 6 and 8 " diameters. Shamu's tank at SeaWorld, San Antonio, is all piped with schedule 80 pvc. We do use the smaller stuff for sand filters, etc.

As to the finish, it is much shinier, heavier, and cleaner looking than your best image of white schedule 40 PVC.

DanG

lowes lumber sells schd 80 here bought some for the lawn pump Just was at home depot needing a stick of 3/4 80, plumbing depart guy said they sell that over in electrical ;) i couldn't find any - asked electrical dept guy . Don't think he knew the word conduit cause his pvc fittings dont care about schedules ;)

Reply to
bumtracks