Which kind of siding?

Vinyl clad aluminum will dent, and careless use of ladders will cause problems. I have not had any problems with shielding from the aluminum, and run all sorts of radios in the house (ham, FM, Sirius satellite, AM, scanner, and my wireless TMobile Sidekick and other data and voice services) and have not found the aluminum siding to be a problem. The roof and glass windows are huge, electrically "transparent" apertures allowing all of the RF energy to pass through without problems.

Dark color like my chocolate brown are a problem though, and ultraviolet bleach>> I was told, when I called and asked Temna antennas, I think it was,

Reply to
Smarty

To each their own. An external antenna can be use for a cell phone. Most houses have a land line. 30 years is a long time. What does vinyl look like after 30 years? Many have to go ahead and have to paint it anyway.

Sure it can be dented but the same blow would put a permanent hole in vinyl. No way is vinyl more durable than steel. Vinyl may last forever but you will get rid of it since long before that since it will become so brittle that it will be literally be falling apart . When you are done with vinyl it goes to the landfill. Steel can be recyled and used steel is worth real money at a scrap yard. You can't name another siding product that is still worth money after it replaced.

Reply to
Lawrence

Steel holds paint better than most materials. A 30 years paint job is far longer service than any other painted material. A new paint job would not last 30 years but still a much longer time than anything else you can buy.

Steel is so durable that you could ignore the paint and it would last another 30 years. Farmers never paint it. They just intall it and forget about it. Steel siding and roofing are so durable they will easily outlast the owner unless you are very young. I have seen steel with rust but never have I seen it rusted all the way through. In any case, I already excluded steel from the category of appearance for the purpose of making my point. Steel is the best in every category except appearance.

Reply to
Lawrence

Sometimes slower growth (cooler climate, naturally seeded) forested Canadian wood is deemed denser, slightly stronger, more stable and more desirable for that reason. Problem is that lumber lobbyists in US have succeeded in having protective tariffs placed on imported, lumber! That and the currently falling value of the US dollar isn't helping US house building costs!

Reply to
terry

That's a pretty touchy subject where I live, Minnesota. It is said that those tarriffs are necessary since the Canadian lumber industry is subsidized by default. No Canadian company has to pay health care premiums. All U.S. employers do. That is in effect, a subsidy for all Canadian products including lumber.

Reply to
Lawrence

Is there a lesson in there somewhere?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

There's no need to ask Bob. Americans deserve government guranteed health care just like Canada. Unfortunatly, that can never happen when so much is spent on the Military. So for now, it has to be tarrifs or our lumber industry will fail and children will go hungry. Just so you know.

Reply to
Lawrence

I'd like to think we deserve better. Wait, I do have better and I don't depend on the government for it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And 25% of american children have no health coverage. 50% of kids living in poverty. Not to mention the adults.. Sounds great.

Reply to
Bob F

What a crappy comment. Do you give a shit about anyone but yourself? Get a clue, lack of susidized health care is destroying American business. When every other decent country provides for their citizens, it creates a competitive disadavatage. Does that mattter to you?

I also have insurance but I don't need to gloat. I am grateful to have it and humbled by those who don't. I can only hope to keep up with the premiums.

No one but you cares whether or not you personally have insurance. Everyone cares if the American economy is being destroyed by a broken health care system. America is a nice place but the United States government treats it's citizens very poorly, unless you are a government employee that is. I bet you have a government job.

Reply to
Lawrence

Its true it wont dent. it Breaks try firing a golf ball off of it

Reply to
Mike