What type of socket wrench should I get?

Uhmmm..... jes what, exactly, is a dogbone socket? I figured since the guy had no clue about SAE and metric, he was talking out his ass about the dogbone thing.

OK ....wait.... DOH! Sears make's 'em. Looks like gimmicky junk I wouldn't waste my time, let alone money, on. Nevermind.

nb

Reply to
notbob

re: "It's a wrench with 4 sockets that swivel on each end, with no ratchet capability."

Actually, you can get similar tools that do have ratchet capability:

Google Black & Decker Ready Wrench or look here:

This is an updated version of their original, which also ratcheted:

I wouldn't own either of these. I picked up the new B&D model at Home Depot the other day and put it right back down. Not only is it grotesquely huge, it's ridiculously heavy.

Did you ever notice how all these new fangled tools show up in the bins right after Thanksgiving? They're for all of those people who don't understand tools and need a buy a gift for someone "handy".

At least the OP is doing a little research and not just grabbing one of those crappy all-in-one tools.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The OPs name is Jo. Sounds like a she to me.

Funny, you agreed with me earlier on the dogbone wrenches at Sears. What happened since then?

Reply to
willshak

I incorrectly assumed the OP was jes confused about the term "dogbone" and meant regular sockets and I was providing info on them. I had no idea there was actually a real tool by that name and that anyone would actually buy such a useless implement, let alone produce one.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It's definitely a girlie wrench.

Reply to
trader4

Sounds like you found a solution! It's only bothered me a couple times. Well, maybe a couple hundred. What happened is one of my boys took up car/truck wrenching. I didn't really care about him taking my tools, because he more than made up for that by wrenching our cars better than I could. He's paid back in work much more than the couple hundred bucks of hand tools to put in his toolboxes. I never complained to him - much. Now that he's "established" and probably has 2 of everything, I bought a new big wrench set for myself. But I hardly ever use it! I'm slowly adding other tools. I still miss some of my "disappeared" tools though, that battery wrench being one. Not I've needed it, but I just know I don't have it. Probably miss my good pliers and channel locks more. Some of those tools I bought 40 years ago when I was a packaging machine mechanic, and my hands had grown to fit them. Seems they were better quality than you can find now too. Some anyway, like the pliers and a spring-loaded screwholder I had.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yeah, it's amazing how some tools disappear only to show up 20 years later in your kid's toolbox when they are working on your stuff to help you out,

Reply to
hrhofmann

It does seem some tools were beter years ago. I have a couple of Chraftsman ratchets that seem much beter than the ones made now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Vic Smith wrote the following:

My wife steals mine. even though I bought her her own tool kit and tool box. I have, or should I say had, 3 tape measures that I can't find. I would lock my toolbox, but then, she might lock her box. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Not that this is pertinent to the original topic, but I find that most sets (with handles) come with 12-point sockets, while unless you are working on some really esoteric stuff (some German cars and/or aftermarket high strength head/rod/main cap fasteners) the 6-point sockets really are the right tool for the job.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Pros and cons to both 6 and 12 pt sockets. Twelve point are more likely to round off a tight nut/bolt, but six point gives less access (60deg arc versus 30deg arc). This can be improved by having a ratchet handle with a finer toothed ratcheting mechanism. If rounding highly torqued fasteners in a limited access area is a concern, flank-drive sockets would probably be a better choice. The down side to flank-drive sockets is their higher cost. Make yer choice and pay yer money!

Merry Christmas

nb

Reply to
notbob

I believe even Craftsman and Husky sockets are currently made similar to the Snap-On "flank drive" sockets, and at least Craftsman have been for something like 15+ years now.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Correct. Bonney invented the design and held the patent tightly till it expired. I think Bonney made Snap-On's combo wrenches for many years, but still didn't produce flank-drives for them. Now that the patent has expired, most of the better tool companies offer some variation of the flank drive. There are even flank-drive tubing wrenches (open box), a great thing as those damn tubing connectors are usually pretty soft. I've had an assorted collection of Bonney flank-drive box-end wrenches and sockets for many years. The design is brilliant and really works. They will grab rounded fasteners when no others will.

(last resort: hammer and chisel)

nb

Reply to
notbob