What Type Of Floor????

The situation: Living in a ground level condominium. Sewer backs up about once a year or once every other year. Sewer water spills from the bathroom toilet/tub into other rooms. The back-up problem will not stop. There's no solution to it; just have to live with it. My question: If this were your situation, what type of flooring would you put in this condo?

---Thanx

---T Conrad

Reply to
omicron6

I'd move.

If you can't/won't move, a tile floor or easily replaced linoleum. Never wood.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@ciagents.com wrote in news:1187318151.765948.113830@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Now solution to it or no solution the condo association will own up to?

Never lived in a condo but I thought anything on the outside was owned and maintained by the association. It is their shit coming into your place. Considering the impact of the problem, I can anly assume you have already pursued this extensively legally.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I would only put ceramic tile floor like the other poster said.

Reply to
Mikepier

on 8/16/2007 10:35 PM snipped-for-privacy@ciagents.com said the following:

A floor that could support a lawyer.

Reply to
willshak

You're solving the wrong problem.

Call the health department, the city public works department, the rat people, the TV stations, your insurance company, and your congressman.

I think you can even hire a professional complainer (i.e., lawyer).

Reply to
HeyBub

Ceramic tile will stand up to repeated dirty water soaking? Linoleum also?

---T Conrad

Reply to
omicron6

Short-term solution answer: VCT or some sort of one-piece flooring. Ceramic tile is more durable, but the grout may have a suceptibility to discoloration and possibly absorption of liquid even if you do seal it.

Long-term issue:

You say "There's no solution to it [the sewage]; just have to live with it." Is that the conclusion of a qualified plumber, or the maintenance people of the condo, or just your own conclusion?

No matter who said it, if there's sewage backing up into your unit there is a problem that needs to be corrected. The only questions are what is causing it, and how much will it cost to fix it?

If you haven't done so already, get a reliable, qualified, preferably recommended plumber with experience in drain issues to look at the problem when it happens next time. That person should be able to determine not only the cause, but if it is simply your sewer line backing up or if it's further down the line and you're getting your neighbors waste coming in as well.

If the latter is true, you now have MAJOR leverage because that constitutes a public health hazard, and you can get your local Board of Health involved to get this solved.

If it's just your sewage, there's still the question of why it's happening. Is there a recurring blockage building up in the line? If so, why? Maybe you need to adjust some bathroom habits. Maybe you need to stop using the garbage disposal in the kitchen - those things are notorious for not grinding food well enough to be flushed and the ground-up matter lies in low spots and slow spots in the line where it hardens and becomes a blockage that can only be removed by an auger.

How old is the condo? Is it possible this falls under some sort of construction warranty, should it be found that there was a defect or design/installation flaw in the sewer line?

Reply to
Kyle

Terrazzo

RLM

So I'll look into ceramic tile, linoleum, vinyl composition tile (VCT), and terrazzo. Thanks for everyone's input. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to post.

---Thanx A Million

---T Conrad

Reply to
omicron6