What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor?

I have a washing machine motor that, although relatively new, no longer works. I believe it's a "capacitor start motor"(*). I've - disconnected it from the washing machine - tested resistance across wires (there are five). - found current flows freely between all wires.

I don't know much about electric motors, especially AC ones, but I understand there should be two separate coils with the capacitor providing a phase-shift. But if current flows freely between the two coils then it's bad news - it would seem the coils have melted and shorted. Basically, it's good for the bin.

Is this the only possible explanation?

  • The casing says "asynchronous monophase" but according to wikipedia there should be a centrifugal switch but I couldn't find it - could it be a different type of motor? Could that explain the short circuits?
Reply to
Zoubidoo

Final update: it turns out that the capacitor had packed up. Replaced it (7.50 euros) and washing machine is now running just fine.

Thanks to all for your advice and wish you all successful repairs.

Reply to
Zoubidoo