what performance should you expect w/professional extermination

Hello,

I've seen some posts apparently from professional exterminators out there. I have a question for you all.

Problem is ants. Harmless ones but a big nuisance. After a recent kitchen remodel I now find that there are usually 20 or so ants visible on a new window every time I go into the kitchen. I've tried a few of these boric acid related products and they do actually work for a few days but the ants keep coming back. So now it is time to consider professional extermination.

What kind of results should one expect? Eradicating every nest on one's property seems feasible if difficult. And even then scouts from neighbors property will soon lead to new nests being established on yours. Is it possible to control that type of thing? If so how often are retreatments necessary?

On the other hand is it possible to establish some sort of chemical barrier to your house and allow the ants to continue nesting on your property but they simply don't make it inside? How long would such a barrier last? 1 month?, 6?

1 year?

How about killing all the current nests inside the house? Is that possible w/o fumigation?

A post to a link w/this info would be great. I haven't really starting researching but the exterminator web sites I've looked at so far are more about touting their products and services than educating the consumer.

This is North County San Diego. Ants are a year round problem and keeping a clean house doesn't really have too much effect. Oh they'll scope right in on that crumb you left but they'll be there even if there is no crumb.

thanks for any info ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Greetings,

Probably doesn't answer your question but I have found the best way to deal with ants is to follow them back to wherever they are coming from and caulk the crack shut. Then they will come from somewhere else and you will have to caulk that shut. Eventually, after long enough, you might get lucky. This has worked for me at several properties without hiring an exterminator. It might take a year or two of having ants off and on for you to find all the cracks.

William

Reply to
William.Deans