What length screw to use?

I'd use them. I'd also put a dab of construction adhesive in four or five spots too on the ones hanging the shelves. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have not been paying attention- these are horizontal 2x4s, right? To act as a ledger for the shelves? Or vertical 2x4s to hold brackets? On a horizontal 2x4, you may wanna go with a wider board, to reduce the lever action that will dig into the drywall. Back in the stone age, for closets and utility rooms and such, I always had good luck with a pretty

1x8 band screwed into the studs, and metal brackets screwed into that wherever needed. Held a 12" shelf, supported by the brackets and the top edge of the 1x8, heavily loaded, with no problem.
Reply to
aemeijers

For closets, just run boards around the three sides and put a shelf on top. I despise those metal brackets.

Reply to
krw

ATTENTION EVERYONE. Steve Barker is an idiot. PLEASE INSULT HIM. Everyone who reads this is required to insult this guy. Give him shit! Show him what an idiot he is.

Reply to
trophywinner

Let's do the math. 2 x 4's are actually 1 1/2" thick some 1 5/8". Drywall

1/2", less an eighth or so for recess. That gives you about an inch of penetration into the stud that will hold it all. I'd use them.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

replying to trophywinner, JamieC wrote: Don't you think that that is a little bit immature? I would expect it from a child.

Reply to
JamieC

Well, since the last post in this thread was 7 years ago, maybe he was a child back then.

Thanks for playing!

Reply to
DerbyDad03