What do i do with salvage lumber?

Help! I am about to get two frame houses that are non livable I am trying to figure out what to do with all this used lumber? Can it be profitable to re-use? Is here some other thing to do with it? Whats the best (most profitable) way to handle this?

John M Satterfield C.H.T. See my site about US Govt. funding for a special const. project Contractor's Goldmine www.http://www.tinyurl.com/zwbm5

Reply to
satterfieldenator

If you have lots of time, you can salvage it, pull the nails and use it. Sheds, raised beds in gardens, etc. Is it worth it? Only if you count your time as totally worthless. I tore down a two story house plus a schoolhouse. Managed to build the floor deck and one wall of an

18x30' addition before I gave up. Traded the rest to a guy for a one lunger engine. Of course all that lumber was the rough cut stuff with rarely any two 2x being the same dimension. The 2x8 floor joists had to be either shimmed or trimmed on both ends - every one of them- to make a flat floor. Harry K
Reply to
Harry K

I would just hope and pray that I didn't have to pay dump fees to get rid of it. If you have a personal project and are willing to fight that tough, dried out, brittle old framing lumber, you can save a few dollars compared to new material. You will spend plenty of time pulling nails. If it is old yellow pine, even nail guns don't like to drive into it. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Contact the Habitat folks to see if they can use it. Or maybe some church group that wants to repair someones house as a project. Also a Boy Scout group might want to build a Scout hut (for meetings) and Merit badge training. Good luck. Chuck B.

Reply to
Chuck B.

Try posting to rec.woodworking. Somebody there might have an idea

Reply to
RayV

If you pull the nails and stack it somewhere I can back my truck or trailer then I'll take it off your hands for free so you do not have to pay dump fees. (As long as you are near by).

My guess is thas the best offer you will find.

Reply to
No

John:

Depends on the species of the wood as far as I'm concerned.

If you're in the East and it's White or Southern Yellow Pine, or in the West if it's Fir, it's not worth your time to pull nails unless these structures have any significance to you then you could make a piece of furniture, or a sign, out of the best of the best. Now if there are nice hardwood floors or some other hardwood millwork that MIGHT be a different story.

The only problem with old buildings you don't know is that you don't know what might have been spilled on the wood floors, hell, they could have been crack labs for all you know.

If you're just looking to get rid of them and they are still standing offer them to a fire department (not just the department in the town they are located in, other will travel to burn down a good house!). They are always looking for buildings to burn for training purposes and you don't have to worry about any demo permits. They usually burn and extinguish several times, just talk to the chief and in return for the donation tell him you would like him to let them burn out completely the last time.

I would also think your could take a tax deduction for the donation to the governmental entity only I wouldn't overdo it too much as you will need an appraisal for over a $500.00 donation I think but then again the Chief could give you one on FD stationary and you would be set there too.

Much, much, less to dispose of if you're going to have to pay landfill fees. You're going to be waiting forever to try to get somebody to take their wood off your hands for free.

Just my $.02 on how not to get beat up too bad and for something to think about.

Jay

Reply to
Jay