Wet lawn

What is so bad about mowing a lawn when it is wet (from dew)? I do not bag the clippings - let them go back into the ground.

LB

Reply to
LB

They tend to clog the mower much easier. You'll need to clean the underneath for sure since it will all stick much more than usual.

Reply to
Mark

The grass clumps together, and doesn't work itself back to the ground. Big clumps of dead grass laying on live grass isn't visually appealing, as you can imagine.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Grass blades will not be cut at the same height so the lawn will be uneven. Some blades may be ripped, not cut clean, and may be pulled out instead of cut (like using a dull mower blade). The wet grass will clump, clogging the mower and laying in matted lumps on the lawn, choking out the grass underneath. The water may cause the mower to rust.

Reply to
Luke

In addition to the other comments, cutting wet grass will cause ragged edge cuts of the grass blades. This, in turn, makes the grass more susceptible for fungus, brown patch.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Hi, Can't make clean cut so basically you're injuring grass. That's why we need to keep the mower blade sharp. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

....and worst of all, it gets green grass stains on your white sneakers. :-)

Don

Reply to
Donald Gares

Thanks to all that replied. Having no choice (house is being shown to possible buyer in a few hours) I went ahead anyway. Mower is 6hp about 20 inch and there does not appear to have been much clumping. Poor cutting is not much of an issue cause "lawn" is not that great anyway. My "white sneakers" are a pair of old golf shoes that I got very heap about 20 years ago. They already are very stained. Using the shoes aerates the lawn while I cut:-))

LB

Reply to
LB

Why didn't you say you needed to cut the lawn wet this *one time* in the first place? A little more practice withholding significant information and you can be a politician ;-). The golf shoe cleats don't "aerate" the lawn, they just dig it up :-).

Reply to
Luke

Turning off the self-propelling function. Otherwise, a spinning wheels may pull the grass up from the wet soil like when the mower is turning a corner.

Jay Chan

snipped-for-privacy@notm> What is so bad about mowing a lawn when it is wet (from dew)?

Reply to
jaykchan

Huh? Rotary mower leaves ragged edges; best you can do there is keep blade sharp. If that's still a concern, how'bout a reel-type?

Roll> In addition to the other comments, cutting wet grass will

Reply to
barry

I should be so luckey to have a self propelled mower:-))

LB

Reply to
LB

Actually not a one time thing if it looks OK since it is cooler in the AM.

What makes you think the spikes dig up the lawn. If golf shoes dug up the grass would the golf course folks use them?

LB

Reply to
LB

[snippage]

Yeah, know about that. Still, it's best to wait till the lawn dries off ... but it's your lawn ... for now ;-).

Golf courses have grounds crews to re-seed, re-sod, water, fertilize, aerate, roll, fill, etc. and otherwise repair damage caused by those they charge for the privilege of spoiling a good walk.

Reply to
Luke

PS: Effective aeration is cores penetrating 2-3 inches deep, 20-40 holes per square foot, done in either fall or spring. See, e.g.,:

Luke

But, but, but Why would golf courses even allow spiked shoes if they cause so much damage. My eyes tell me the damage is not there. Of course I have never played golf because, as you noted its a way of "spoiling a good walk"

BTW Great sig.

LB

Reply to
LB

Because golf courses are about golf, not good grass. You wouldn't want a golf course lawn. It would be far too much work, though the tendency these days is for lower maintenance in the "rough".

Anyway, if your lawn looks good to you, keep on doing what you're doing and enjoy it. But you have been warned, so keep a sharp eye out for the Lawn Police ;-).

Thanks.

Reply to
Luke

That's why it is recommended to sharpen your rotary blades after every five cuttings, to minimize the ragged edges. You will see a big difference between a sharp rotary blade and a jagged one.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Ahh, you must be a Jerry Baker fan too.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

I have to disagree about your comment about golf shoes. Every little bit to punch through the thatch is a good thing. Walking behind a mower won't dig up anything but help make the lawn purr like a cat.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder