Water Well Problem

Hi,

We have a well as the water source for our home. When my husband was mowing the lawn this weekend he noticed that the ground around the site of our water well is soft and muddy. I was wondering if anyone could explain what would cause this kind of a situation and what the costs could possibly be to repair it. We have had a lot of rain in the past several weeks, but I never noticed anything like this before. Thanks!

Reply to
Michele

water line OUT is probably leaking....

not expensive if you dont mind digging it up.line down into well may need replaced how old is your well? plastic or metal line?

Reply to
hallerb

Do you know if it's a shallow well (dug) or deep drilled well. A shallow well can fill with ground water (run-off) and rise to the surface. With a deep well the casing may be cracked allowing water to reach the surface. Most often though, water around the top is usually an indication of poor grading. The well casing may need to be raised a bit and back-filled with a bit of soil.

Reply to
Rick

You never know what you will find till you dig, I had the same situation a couple of weeks ago, I found a compression splice that just needed a turn. Good thing about it, it won't be hard to find or hard to dig for that matter. If you find a crack in a plastic line and it isn't too big one of those compression fittings could do the trick. Larger than that, you can glue in a adequate length of pipe and use one of those for a pipe union to join it to the existing line. Even if it is metal, a proper sized plastic repair would work with 2 of the plastic compression things, they work on metal too.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Yep, it sounds to me like a leak next to the casing. The pipe normally attaches to the pitless adaptor at the side facing the house. Start digging. Generally about 6 feet down. However, before you dig, take a piece of 3/4" pipe about a foot long and drive it in the soil. (on side facing the house) Pull it out and push all the mud out of it with a stick, and push it back in the hole. See if it fills with water. If it does, you probably got a leak. If not, wait a week or two and see what happens.

Also look in the well. Is the water level near the surface of the ground? If it is, you might be having a very high water table situation, and if you are, thats the problem, and you DO NOT want to dig a hole out of possible collapse of the hole. I know all about this. I got nearly buried once from this exact thing.

Of course if the water table is high, you really should not have water coming up out of the ground and your casing might be bad. Is your water tested safe?

Reply to
maradcliff