Water Softener Setting Equal, Less, or Greater than Actual GPG

When you say "law", I take it you are from CA and are referring to the minimum 3400 grains per lb salt efficiency they want. To my knowledge, they are the only state with the "law" BUT, anyone selling softeners should be sizing and setting them up for the best salt dose efficiency.

I did mean that they measure the hardness and regenerate accordingly.

No one should use an "estimate" of the hardness, iron, manganese etc., all of those parameters should be set according to accurate and current data. Otherwise there's little chance the softener will/can work correctly.

Yes I do, they are called immediate regenerated twin tank models; I have some 5-6 different versions. They are sized and setup the same as a two tank model, using the same current and accurate data, and then based on the SFR and other 'things'. Very few homes need a twin tank softener due to not having an hour and a half during the night when water isn't being used so a two tank model can be used.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser

And my guess is that the unit had regenerated since the last test showed 4 gpg, or 3 gpg or whatever it was. To see if the unit is working correctly everyday, not allowing any leakage (hardness in the softened water), you need to test the softened water daily between regenerations. For the last 16-18 years I've been giving all my softener customers a small test kit to do that with.