water softener R & R

Hi All ; I think I'm all set to replace my water softener - tomorrow. Any tips or tricks are appreciated - I'm more of a WanneBe - than a bona fide DIY'er. I'm new to the shark-bite and pex plumbing - seems simple -

- I've checked a few web sites & Utube videos .. any advice is appreciated. Existing is 3/4 inch copper with single handle brass bypass valve. Replacement is 3/4 inch but plastic bypass with two plastic "valves".

Q1 : screwing the 3/4 shark onto the plastic bypass - - a few wraps of teflon and snug it up good ? - special cement ? < brass - to - plastic ? >

Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ? - heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?

Thanks in advance. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I've never used shark bite connectors , but I'm pretty sure they seal with an o-ring , teflon tape is not needed . As far as cutting pex , do you have a (power) miter saw ? I use mine to cut PVC and copper ...

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Huh ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Shark - to - Shark is just a press in - on both ends. Shark - to - screw is the question -

- the brass Shark screw - onto the plastic screw thread - - what is needed here ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks for the reply. I doubt that detailed photographs will help with this. .. it's 3/4 inch plumbing - Q1 and Q2 above. The water softener installation instructions cannot possibly cover every detail of all the various plumbing considerations. They rightly assume that the installer is an experienced plumber or at least a competent DIYer. Any help with Q1 or Q2 above - appreciated. John T.

Reply to
hubops

A hack saw would be easier.

Reply to
dadiOH

OK , I didn't realize you had a threaded PVC fitting . Yes , by all means use teflon tape on that joint . As far as the rest , I know nothing about softener units and how to plumb them .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs