Water pressure

I have a 1/2 hp jet pump on a dug well. It charges the system to 50pounds. However the recovery is slow and there is little pressure in the main (first) floor shower. At best there is 30 pounds of continuous pressure when the pump is running. Is it worth my time to take it apart to check the impellor?I saw repair kits at the "Depot" and was wondering how hard it would be. I was also wondering if I could also move up to a 3/4 hp pump? Would it make a bigger difference?

Dave

Reply to
Szeifried

if it chgs the sys to 50psi then wouldn't that mean your low psi on the shower would be further down stream? Have you emptied out the water in your tank and checked/ added air if needed ? the rebuild kit is only for a failed mechanical/ shaft seal. If pump isn't losing prime or leaking water at the shaft then no need for kit. if that shower is only one w/ psi prob i would check pipes close to the valves for rocks or other crap.

Reply to
Playintennis5274

You have probably done this already, but just in case... I had a similar situation. I took off the shower head and found it was full of gravel. Damned if I know how the gravel got past two filters, but cleaning it out worked wonders.

I am going to replace the water heater this year. I hate to think what is built up in there, after 24 years.

Reply to
toller

pressure

How old is the pump? It sounds like it might be on its last legs if it will only pump 30psi while drawing water but build to 50psi static after an extended period.

As for pressure in shower - it sounds like your system is set for

30/50 on/off (that is a standard setting). At 30 psi shower pressure, while adequate, is nothing to brag about. 40/60 is a better choice.

Others have mentioned checking pipes, shower etc. If you have a filter, check it - that is a common source for low pressure due to blockage.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K