Water inside walls. How big a problem?

We've had record cold this winter. The result has been lots of condensation which has frozen on the inside of the windows, melted and dripped through the window frame, in a couple of cases damaging the ceiling of the room below. The answer next year is plastic sheeting over the windows as a vapour barrier. But for now...

1)Is there likely enough moisture that it could eventually cause a rot problem or will it dry up. 2)If it has to be dried up, how do I do it short of cutting holes in the walls.

ds

Reply to
Dick Smyth

It is not the water that is there now that should be your concern, it will dry out. However the fact that you had a problem means you are going to have more until you fix the problem.

It would had to be a lot of condensation on the windows to do as you suggested, which would indicate a rather warm very moist interior with single pane windows. You need to improve the windows or reduce the humidity.

If it were my home, I would want to know what kind of insulation and vapor barrios were present in all outside surfaces as well as the source of the moisture.

It almost sounds like you have started an indoor pot farm. That does cause that problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan