Water Heater Thermostat settings ?

"HeyBub" wrote in news:--adndXiONsWjBTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Exactly. Nobody gets out alive.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So what do YOU do about all water consumed that does not go through the water heater? Piping hot lemonaid? Icemaker conected to hot water side? You take a 150 degree shower with no cold water? Brush teeth and rinse with 150 degree water?

Reply to
Red Green

You are a moron, right? Children sometimes do things that for an adult are "Stupid, or clumsy" as you put it. This includes turning on the hot water without considering the effects, and being unable to turn it off.

So go pour yourself a really hot bath, and soak your head.

Reply to
PeterD

Can you post a URL to one that doesn't? Uh, a mechanical/electric one, not your wife, that is...

Reply to
PeterD

This clause will not stand in court. Disclaimer of liability are not valid in contracts, or as signs, or anywhere else. What you need is an enforcable "assumption of liability" which you won't be able to do--a person who rents does not have the financial ability to assume liability, so you will then be named in the suit too. If there is a law stating it must be 120 degrees, regardless of the law you would also be held responsible. Were I to give you legal advice (I'm not doing so) I'd suggest setting them to 120 degrees as the rules say, and if the tennant complains, give them the names and addresses of their local representatives in the (state?) government... Simply explain you have no option.

Yep, that sign in the parking lot: "We cannot be held liable for..." is worthless! One cannot disclaim liability.

Geeze, wish I could do that! I'm considering solar water heat for summer here in NH however.

Reply to
PeterD

I keep my water heater around 140 or 150 because I like hot water.

If the Legionnaire's Disease does come from the water heater, what about all the systems that have a storage tank for the well ? All the cold water should be full of the germs. My house has a well and no chemicals are added to the water system. I moved about 5 years ago from where a group of about

10 houses were hooked to a large well and outside storage tank with no chemicals added. Looks like that big storage tank would have been a big breeding ground. Especially in the summer .
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

"Ralph Mowery" wrote

You want to avoid the growth and activity range.

  • 20 to 50 °C (68 to 122 °F): Legionellae growth range
  • Below 20 °C (68 °F): Legionellae can survive but are dormant
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oren wrote in news:p66jo5p2h484qj0l3a1o195f0mh8n8oifc@

4ax.com:

I know you saw this when I originally posted it. Some may have missed it.

Mythbusters Blows Up Water Heater

Red Green

Robert Neville wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Gale winds are common.

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, A few times installing new tank or thermostat. I noticed most of them came with temp. set at 140. I have a few tanks at my stores and cabin. They are all set at 135 or 140.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I used to keep my water pretty hot, at least 140 because of the dishwasher recommendations, sometimes more. My water heaters had a tendency to fill with gunk and then the bottom element would burn out. I bought a dishwasher with a water heat feature and turn the water heater down to about 120 and most of the gunk problem went away. So my recommendation for your new heater is set it as low as you can get away with considering legionnaires and dishwasher issues.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

How much of that water sits there breeding bacteria? If the water is kept below (or above) the range where Legionella multiplies, it'll be safe. If it doesn't sit, it'll be safe. I suspect chlorine (city water) helps too, as does (colder) well water.

Reply to
krw

Either I mis-spoke or you mis-read: I set the TEMP to 130 period; I did not mean to say one element was set different than the other; sorry if I gave that impression. In this case they were both set to the same temp; 130 degrees. Still too hot for my liking, but hot enough for the dishwasher and I've changed shower faucets to the temperature-control kinds. But electricity got too expensive and we switched to an oil fired water heater and saved a bundle on electricity. Up to now, anyway; not so sure it's a savings anymore with prices so high but it recovers very quickly.

HTH,

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

In Greece, especially Iraklion, Crete, we have (mostly) electric water heaters with always one element. We have solar water heaters (not in rental houses), so we have plenty of hot water 330 days a year, free (if you count out the ~1000 euros initial expense for the solar heater) These solars come with a 4kW (auxilliary) element, that has a 1 1/2" thread (IIRC) and either a 35 or 38 mm nut. I always set the thermostat at 60 degrees celsius, which is a good compromise for having enough hot weater and electricity waste. They also have a connecting option to the furnace, so you have 3 ways to heat water (solar, furnace, electric). The classic electric boilers have also one element, usually 4 or 3 or sometimes 2 kW, and I always set the thermostat at 60 C. I also change any bad elements myself ( it goes without saying that you must drain the heater of water before removing the bad element).

Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

None of which are sprayed at your face, such as when you are showering.

Almost. The number of viable organisms per second is probably closer to the facts.

Why die a horrible death from a preventable disease? Keep the setting above 140 degrees F, and add a tempering valve. It is the best advice given. That way a disease-laden fog is not sprayed directly into the face.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

There is a lot of miss info in this thread about legionella.

It's mainly a problem for water that is _stored_ at below 60C.

So you can use a wax cart mixer to mix hot water fom the tank at say 65C with cold water to produce a safe 44C.

I don't know that specific water heater you have but the sealed type that use a heat exchanger can be run at less than 60C because they can be dosed with chemicals.

Reply to
Cwatters