Want to run a boxed channel to hold cables and wiring - please help

Hello all,

I want to run cabled from the breaker box to my basement. I also want to be able to easily add new cables for whatever reason as I expand in the future. Now, I could make a box section out of 1x1's, a couple of inches apart, fixed to the walls, with a ply wood cover along its length, which could be removed to add new wires.

Has anyone does this or something like this? I just dont want to find out later that it needs to be some special material, or armored, or some other problem.

Any tips welcomed!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Wire mold or Walker duct 3000 series and bigger , NO the borg stores will not have this. You might try an electrical recycler, I have sold some in the past. Some of the larger sizes can be barrier so you can run different voltages, like communication in one side and power on the other. This stuff is not pretty or cheap, but will last for ever. Once painted it almost disappears if run at the ceiling.

one bys and plywood, yuck

Reply to
SQLit

If your going between floors you need it sealed so the box area doesnt act like a chimney and spread fire....

many use conduit, like 4 inch plastic pipe covered or sealed at both ends. add 2 to make future additions easy.

Reply to
hallerb

You'd be better off running PVC conduit and pulling lengths of rope with the wires. Then if you have to pull more wires later, you can just use one of the ropes.

Reply to
Bob

Yes, I have done it. Had to replace a beam in the basement. Wound up with 4 or 5 runs of romex stapled to the outside of the beam. Added 1X

  • 1/2" chipboard cover. Been into it a couple times. Simple and neat when painted. Is it code? I don't know.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In the biz that is called a chase. Perfectly legal and depending on your skills, can be quite attractive.

Reply to
gfretwell

Building a chase, running some conduit, or even just running some rope to simplify pulling later on are all acceptable. As long as you're thinking towards future access and needs, you'll do fine.

I stick access panels and chases everywhere I can. Yesterday I had to run some S-video and the access panel I had made inside a built-in hamper in the bathroom I built a couple years ago made it a trivial matter. Otherwise it would have been either a nightmare or impossible without tearing the place apart.

RicodJour

Can a chase be made of wood? If so, could you tell me in a few words what a good design would be? I was thinking some 1x1 wood, spaced 2 inches apart, plus a plywood cover all the way along. Sounds ok?

Thanks all very much for the info!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Why not? Romex goes through wood floor joists and wall studs/cavities. I'd not make it too small so there is no danger of heat. A hunk or two of PVC condiut as a "chase" may be easier though. As others have said, even a few ropes to pulll new wires (and another rope with it) may be good enough. Also be sure to seperate line and low-voltage wires in seperate chases.

Reply to
Keith

Good call on the size. Thanks.

Reply to
dean

If you really wanted it nice you could use something like 1x4 western red cedar, sanded and topcoated with poly urethane. That can be real pretty. Space it out from the wall with your 1x1s. If you finish theem too you will have a bery decorative chase. Use stainless deck screws or fancy brass nuts on screw in studs to class up the attachment

Reply to
gfretwell