Voltage regulation wrt resistive and inductive loads...

Awl --

Any electric heater is as near as dammit.

Reply to
harry

You neglect the resistance of the generator windings.

Reply to
harry

You can buy one. Sewing machine speed foot control.

Reply to
harry

What about "watts generated"? Is English your first language?

...and your point?

Reply to
krw

I don't see that he neglected the resistance of the generator windings. In a generator the resistance of the windings is very small, negligible compared to the resistance of any real load.

Reply to
trader4

Used to be used for speed control in electric trolleys, circa 1910.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The point is that if power factor is poor, the generator will have to be derated you numbskull..

Reply to
harry

If there is no resistance in the load (ie purely inductive/ capacitive), it would be the only resistance in the circuit and hence hugely important.

There is no such thing as a pure inductor BTW. There are almost pure capacitors.

Reply to
harry

Depending on what's loading the transformer, a transformer load isn't necessarily substantially inductive.

That's the egghead theory. Unfortunately, my knowledge of welders starts with being able to stick weld, then has this long, dark, gap, then gets to the circuits theory that I know as an electrical engineer. So I couldn't tell you just what the power factor of a welder is (PF = how "resistive" it is). I can tell you that it probably varies with the type of welder, what its technology is, and probably by whether it's cheap Chinese or quality late-model 'merican.

Reply to
WW

Uh, huh. So, why did you just bring such a load into the discussion?

Uh, no. The generator winding resistance is still small. Small is still small, whether you have a purely resistance load or a load that has a substantial component of inductance or capcitance, like the welder in question or a motor.

Reply to
trader4

Jan 12, 5:10=A0pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:> Awl -=

-

I mean, you know. To be technical, in DC/AC/Grounding in electrician school, they teach you that nothing is "purely resistive"

Reply to
Transition Zone

Since you declined comment, I guess not.

That's already been said. Many times, moron.

Reply to
krw

Then why ask the question, shit fer brains?

Reply to
harry

n Jan 12, 5:10=A0pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:> Awl= --

True. But electric heaters are near as dammit for practical purposes.

Reply to
harry

Someone else did.

Uh............Yes. The resistance however small will be the only thing in the circuit consuming any energy.

One considers the Inductive element of a circuit separately when doing any calculations.

Reply to
harry

And there you have it folks, after telling others here that they have s*** for brains, the village idiot has once again demonstrated that he's the one that is clueless.

Resistance is most certainly *not* the only place energy is consumed. Take a simple electric motor, for example., like the one powering a water pump. If resistance is the only place that consumes energy, how do you account for the work done by the motor? The motor isn't a resistance heater and the energy is being used pushing the water. According to your logic, if we had a 1hp motor, all the power would have to be in the form of resistance and we'd actually have a 750watt heater.

Reply to
trader4

We were discussing the electrical losses in a generator. And the heating losses in the generator arise from the resistance of the windings (copper losses) and the magnetic hysterisis losses of the iron core. If there was no resistance. there would be no copper losses.

Reply to
harry

Nice try at back peddling. We weren't discussing the resistance of anything. Mark made a post about the voltage regulating characteristics of the generator. Then you claimed that the resistance of the generator matters. The guy is hooking up a frigging welder. THAT is significant in regard to voltage regulation. The very small resistance of the generator is not.

Then you went even further off the rails:

"Uh............Yes. The resistance however small will be the only thing in the circuit consuming any energy. One considers the Inductive element of a circuit separately when doing any calculations. "

Clearly a circuit, is, well a circuit. It's *not* just the generator windings. It's the generator plus the load. Your statement means that there is no other energy transfer in a circuit with that welder or a motor, other than through resistance. THAT is just wrong.

Reply to
trader4

It wasn't a question, dumbshit. Really, is English not your first language?

Reply to
krw

I did say old like in low, medium , high. or you could use a couple of electric baseboard heaters. John

Reply to
John