Vinyl siding for shed?

I'm comparing pre-built sheds that are delivered and set-up and wonder whether vinyl siding is a good idea for a garden shed that would be storing lawn equipment and tools.

The vinyl sheds have a type of sheathing and are insulated, whereas the aluminum sheds seem stronger but have no sheathing and are not insulated.

Thanks.

Reply to
al

Insulation is not needed on a shed unless you plan to heat it in the winter or AC in the summer. Aluminum dings easily. I'd go with vinyl myself.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

insulation minimizes the moisture cycle which causes stored stuff to rust badly, vinyl is muc better

Reply to
hallerb

The shed company's website says the insulation is "structural grade thermo-ply" which sounds like a type of board insulation? Would this also likely be the sheathing to which the siding is attached?

Thanks.

Reply to
al

Sounds that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The Thermo-ply is attached to the studs/framing. Then the siding is installed over the Thermo-ply using nails that go through the Thermo-ply and into the studs/framing.

I no not believe that it has much if any R/insulation value.

Mike

The shed company website says "R-11". I don't know how significant a rating that is though.

Reply to
al

R 11 is pretty good!

Sams club sells these type of sheds! probably cant beat their price

Reply to
hallerb

The faq at the Thermoply link you provided lists the R value for Thermoply at

0.2 to 3.5. That is much more reasonable for a product that is only 1/8" thick. Even the 3.5 sounds dubious, they must be rating it like a radiant barrier.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

Here's a link to the shed website showing their claim of R-11 under the "wall framing system" section:

In any case, I live in South Florida and this Thermoply doesn't sound like it would provide much strength in hurricane force winds. Already lost one shed to a hurricane last year and don't want to have to replace another.

Thanks.

Reply to
al

For Florida hurricanes you probably need a heavy concrete foundation with rebar tying the block walls to the slab, with rebar thru the blocks and the blocks filled with concrete, and a armored roof with storm shutter as door. even then the building may not survive:(

disney builds their attraction buildngs with steel superstructure and concrete walls

how many thousands do you want to spend on the shed?

Reply to
hallerb

Nothing will hold up in a direct hurricane, except possibly a solid concrete shed. However, you might consider building your own on a concrete slab with 2x6 walls securely bolted to the slab. Then cover it with barn steel sheets. Be sure all the corners have 1/2" pkywood triangles well nailed for to the inside walls for strength, and use hurricane straps on all roof pieces (available at lumber yards).

Reply to
com