Utility drill: corded or cordless?

I have the 12V Hitachi and am not crazy about it. Low speed is too high, I wind up using the 18V for driving screws. I do like the size and weight.

Jeff

If you are going to use it for work I

Reply to
Jeff Thies

These guys do pretty well, too. I have used them.

They can use newer, better, cells (higher energy).

I replaced the cells in my PC for about $35. Most seem to be about 50% of the new battery price.

Reply to
krw

New Battery price is usually within 20 bucks of the price of a whole new drill, around here. (consumer grade at big box, not a 'trade' brand like Milwaukee, of course.)

Like inkjet printers and cartridges, in many ways. I see plenty of battery tools and inkjets, sitting by dumpsters, in the afternoon 'free' pile at garage sales, and in the dollar aisle at the thrift stores. Not a very green business model at all.

Standard disclaimer- I love my 24v B&D drill that I bought off the remainder table at Lowes for 25 bucks a few years back. Still on original battery and holds a charge well, even though I can go months without using it. Great for small jobs and screw shooter duty, but not enough power for any sort of production work. I went out and bought a corded Makita for that sort of stuff, since it was the only brand I could find in my price range that looked like a drill, instead of a kid's toy ray gun.

Reply to
aemeijers

Ok. I don't buy "consumer grade" tools. Certainly Harbor Fright is cheaper than DeWalt.

Do they pretend to be "green"? Why should everything be "green"?

The only corded drill I own is a Baosch hammer drill. I own something like ten cordless drills and drivers. Some of the older ones are no longer used but probably will be on the next outside project (rebuilding a fence).

Reply to
krw

On 10/14/2010 10:32 PM Prof Wonmug spake thus:

Yes; forget new drills. Get an older one, probably about the same vintage as your Craftsman, but reversible.

My favorite drill used to be my Craftsman, which is probably a lot like yours (3/8", all metal) but reversible. I've replaced the speed control on it, then later did an almost complete drill-ectomy on it when I found one just like mine at the local recycled-goods store for $10. Still works fine.

But my best drill nowadays is the Milwaukee "hybrid" that was given to me by a friend/client. I say "hybrid" because it has a metal body but a plastic handle (orange). That thing has so much torque it's amazing; almost as much as some 1/2" drills. I only have two complaints about it: poor placement of the reversing switch (just above the trigger), making it easy to reverse the drill unintentionally, and it's so strong and heavy that it coasts for a long time after releasing the switch. Other than that it's perfect.

If you have a place that sells recycled or salvaged stuff, look for a drill of this vintage. Chances are it'll still work, and work well.

So far as chucks go, I actually prefer a keyed chuck. I attach the key to the cord so it's always there, and am confident that the bit is being held securely. Small price in inconvenience here.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

From what you said, but a corded one. If a battery sits, it just dies away. Of course if your Craftsman is still working, why buy anything? It's probably made better than any new ones.

And chuck keys are a GOOD thing. I hate those keyless chucks. They dont hold well on any tough work. Just have a SPARE chuck key on hand. I misplaced mine recently and I got my spare. The next day I bought another one, and the day after I found the lost one. Oh well, it was only a couple bucks.

Reply to
jw

The keyless one on my Dewalt's served me well so far - I was expecting it to be junk, too, but I can't think of a time when it's failed to work (a handful of times where it's slipped because I hadn't tightened it enough, but none where it just hasn't coped)

I really hate cordless drills, though - give me a cord any day.

Do hand-held drills with chuck keys come with somewhere on the drill body to store the key? Seems like bad design if they don't. My bench drill has a nice indentation in the top of the case, so the key lives there when I'm not using it.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson