urgent .....need advice....tarvertine / Onyx

urgent .....need advice....tarvertine / Onyx in homes

My friend is buying a brand new home in the SF \\ Bay Area, California

  1. with Travertine flooring

Any thoughts on travertine ?

easily stained ?

high maintenance ?

good / bad for floors ?

  1. Onyx in bath room, bath tub area

same questions as above ......

Any pointers / Suggestions ?

Pls send me your comments.

Thanks

Ava

Reply to
avacohen100

Travertine and onyx are two very different things. Travertine is calcium carbonate, usually deposited from solution around springs and the like. Onyx is a very fine grained quartz; other similar minerals are flint and chert.

Calcium carbonate is very soft - the only thing softer that comes to mind at the moment is talc; quartz is very hard. Calcium carbonate is easily stained and porous; onyx is not.

If it were my house I'd be happier if the choice in each area had been reversed.

Reply to
dadiOH