Upstairs too hot

Okay, fourteen. Whatever.

Reply to
HeyBub

As is window film, trees, and awnings.

It's probably cheaper to light the room with a couple of CFLs than sunlight when you factor in the A/C costs.

Reply to
HeyBub

Blocking too much of the airflow will screw up the ac unit by reducing total flow across the evap coil.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Sounds like you've got air flow problems. Cold air is heavier than warm air, so it's hard for the furnace to push the cold air up from the cellar. You may also have poor air return to the furnace. Many times I've seen under sized air returns causing problems.

As others have mentioned, running the circulating fan all the time may help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, How is your attic vent and ceiling insulation? Also ceiling fans would help.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Also our thermostat is wireless, in winter we locate it downstairs, in summer we locate it upstairs and close few air registers downstairs to even out temp. between up/downstairs. Works prewtty good.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I live in a 100 year old house. Back then they built them to work without AC. I just run an exhaust fan, blowing out, 24/7 in the summer in a hallway window. The kids run fans blowing in when they want to. It cools the house at night and removes the heat buildup during the day. I put a window unit in my bedroom and use it at night for about 2 weeks out of the year.

BTW, I work out of my house so it's not like there's no one home during the day to complain about the heat.

Reply to
PatM

Parsing that sentence leads me to the (I believe correct) conclusion that as long as you don't block "too much" you'll be fine.

Reply to
cjt

Yes. But you need to put gauges on the system to find out where "too much" is.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher