Unsticking aluminum tubes

I need to lengthen a solar blanket roller, to reuse it on a larger swimming pool. The roller is two aluminum tubes, about

4" diameter, end to end, linked by a third tube inside, ridged so that it touches the enclosing tubes at about 8 points. How to extend this telescopic tube sysem? Hammering on the inner tube (reached by a crowbar) earns me half an inch a time, but I am apprehensive about building up a burr on the aluminum, that would jam the tube permanently.

Is there any useful trick to unstick telescopic tubing?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Don,

Rather than a crowbar use an appropriately sized tube. A tube that slides freely into the 4" tube and makes good contact with the inner tube is what you want. Have someone hold the outer tube while you whack at a scrap of 2X4 placed on the end of driving tube.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

chill the smallet diameter tube and heat the outer tube should loosen them up somewhat. How much is the overlap, inches or feet or yards or what?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Could you seal the ends of the tubes? If so, maybe a little bit of air pressure in the tube plus percussive maintenance. A reminder though. It's pounds per square inch and 3.14 X the radius squared at the ends of the plugged tubes.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This is (sort of) what I am trying to do, hammering on a T-section garden stake, while the outer tube is braced by bungee cords to a trolley, and the far end free. Air pressure cannot be used (many screw holes in both tubes). If I can lay hands on a propane torch I shall try warming up the outer tube, in case it helps. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:kljjsg$13e$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Oiling?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Shouldn't be hard. Anyone who can afford a pool can afford a propane torch. Lots of uses.

I shall try warming up the

Sounds very likely to me. I think you need a helper, maybe two. Two to pull and one to heat. If possible, pull before the inner tube heats

MAPP gas is hotter than propane, but in this case I don't think it will matter.

Reply to
micky