Underground Copper lines from Oil Tank ?

I have a bit of a problem here... We were trying to remove this very large rock from underneath our wooden deck..so large that we had to use a car jack to loosen it out...but in the process we slightly bent one of the copper lines from my underground oil tank... that connect from my oil tank to my boiler.. We were able to bend it back to almost the way it was before...but it still has a bend...

My question is.... is there anyway to repair this small area of piping...or does the whole line have to be replaced? I was so upset when i noticed it happened....arghhhh.. I wanted to post here before calling my oil company because i know they would probably recommend the most expensive route..

any info would be greatly appreciated..

thanks mike

Reply to
mike

before...but

piping...or

The "bent" area can be fixed with silver solder and an new piece. It is done with plumbing all of the time. However it is always an risk having joints underground.

Reply to
SQLit

A perfectly suitable connection can be made using flare fittings; no solder, no compression fittings. The oil service firm may be aware of some EPA restriction on this, so check.

Bigger question may be whether this is the suction or return line. That will make a *big* difference in how the repair is handled.

In short, I would sooner replace the section than disturb the tank connections and god knows what else...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If the line is not leaking and you removed most of the bend so to speak and so the flow is not impeded by much say 1/3rd then leave it alone.

Reply to
Mastermech

-snip-

-snip-

Another thing to look at is 'did you create a low spot' in the line. There will always be a few drops of water in your tank. If there is a slight depression in the line on the outside of your house, it is a perfect place to freeze up on the coldest day next winter. [a couple minutes with a hair dryer cures it--- but if you're not home you might be thawing water pipes out when you get there.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht