tub surround

Hi All,

I'm working on an older house with a 60" x 31" tub. The tub is quite heavy and in great condition -- it might be cast iron. It has a white enamel finish with no chips or wear showing.

I need to add a tub surround to protect the walls. I was hoping to use a

3 or 5 piece fiberglass unit but the samples at my local big box stores look pretty poor ..... flimsy. I've learned my "buy cheap" lesson a long time ago.

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold up to wear and tear from tenants. What brands/models should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

I'd consider this

I used Swanstone sinks and shower pans and they are well made. We opted for ceramic tile so we did not use the surrounds, but they did look nice on the displays.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I only worked on a tub surround once, and I was helper for a friend of mine who bought the unit already.

Maybe a plumbing wholesale house might have some thing better quality?

In my case, the two of us workers had to stand in the tub to hold up the sides. Just another workaday thing to be doing. Holding up surround sides while the construction adhesive dried, or whatever it was we used. This was about twenty years ago. We joked about "male bonding" in the bath tub. Our earlier male bonding jobs included chainsawing and splitting fire wood.

His wife innocently used the terms "male bonding in the bath tub" at work the next day and got some really strange looks from the other secretarial staff.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's a lot harder to bond with a chainsaw or a wedge than with construction adhesive.

Reply to
Micky

On the odd chance you are serious, male bonding refers to activities men do to promote togetherness. Examples include sports, hunting, and home repair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sports and hunting are what you do to get away from the old lady's home repair/honey-do list.

Reply to
Rev W. W. Dubya

I was serious, construction adhesive is very good for bonding, but the others are for splitting. However I also know the other meaning for male bonding.

The crossword puzzle a couple days ago spelled it honey-dew but it jokes around sometimes.

Reply to
Micky

Interesting. When I saw the description, I think it said that the material that they use is a full-thickness composite material -- possibly like VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) -- which means the color and pattern goes all the eay through and is not just a surface layer of color. I liked that idea. And, since I never saw this product before, I will keep an eye out for it. Looks like they have it at plumbing supply places, but I don't know about at the big box places like Lowes and Home Depot..

Reply to
TomR

I saw it at the local plumbing supply showroom. It is a much better product than anything at the big box stores.

When we did the bathrooms we spent about $27,000 for both and the only thing that came from Lowes was the grout.. Plumbing supply had better qualityh and competitive prices. Delivered too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are plumbing supply houses and there are "kitchen and bath design centers". Sometimes the 2 can be connected and/or the same company.

I walked in the fancy front doors of a design center to buy my tub and surround and then walked around back, off of the loading docks, to the plumbing supply counter for all of the plumbing parts I needed. Discounts can be requested (and given) at both ends of the store.

(Many fancy lighting stores also have a "contractor friendly" electrical supply counter in the back.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Get GE 1/4" Lecson you can drill it and it will not crack.

Hi All,

I'm working on an older house with a 60" x 31" tub. The tub is quite heavy and in great condition -- it might be cast iron. It has a white enamel finish with no chips or wear showing.

I need to add a tub surround to protect the walls. I was hoping to use a

3 or 5 piece fiberglass unit but the samples at my local big box stores look pretty poor ..... flimsy. I've learned my "buy cheap" lesson a long time ago.

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold up to wear and tear from tenants. What brands/models should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Reply to
Tony944