to waterproof or not to waterproof(and stain) pressure treated wood (kids home swingset)...

We are about to setup a kids playset out back.. which comes with some lumber, but about 9 4x4x8's it didnt include.

Some say you dont really need to waterproof or even stain these unless you want to.. that you can simply use a pressure washer to bring it back to life every so often (as it fades and gets that ugly old wood appearance).

My question is if there is any benefit, aside from avoiding water pressure cleaning of the wood, to doing the waterproofing/staining (i'm assuming they make waterproofing with stain built in)..

IE: Will the wood last any longer if i do the waterproofing every 5 years or so?

How long is likely to hold up without doing so? (the typical 10 year range etc)?

Thanks for any thoughts

Reply to
markm75

Don't fret about it. Consider this: drive through any subdivision and observe all the unused kiddie playsets that are obviously terminally idle. Kids will use them the first year sporadically, once in a blue moon the second year and then ignore them ever after while they go to the mall with their friends or play with their PS3's. Best thing is to avoid messing up your yard with a dreary structure with no particular future. Makes more sense to spade up a small area and teach them gardening with sturdy flowers. YMMV

Joe

Reply to
Joe

This may be true.. but my kids are young.. 6 months, 4 years.. i expect to get about 10 years of use out it.. I know i used my metal playset till i was around 10 (i think).

Reply to
markm75

Remember your kids are a whole different generation. Everything you did will be old fashioned to them. The music you like will be 'quaint', the monster plastic toys will be boring all too soon, the list goes on. It's just the panoply of life, so just do your best to show them life's inscrutable boundaries. Take them to a nice neighborhood playground to see what they really like and don't worry about having one in your yard. Be firm about music lessons (practice, practice...) and free with rewards, and read to the tykes or have them read to you an hour or more every day. Buy them real tools and show them how to use them, no gaudy plastic cartoon tools allowed. Do all this and maybe they'll stop by one day when you're old and feeble and quickly fix your leaky roof. Best of luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe