Tingle / Shock from inground pool

Bonding conductors need to be 8ga and that is the most relevant for this discussion. Guys like Mike Holt deny the fact that pools are "grounded" and that the EGC is involved at all. He would have you believe the concrete pool is not part of the grounding electrode system.

Reply to
gfretwell

This phenomenon is called "stray voltage", there are many possible sources, sometimes an actual source isn't identified. I would start with an electrician and the power company.

Reply to
trader_4

The PoCo is not going to admit anything. Their responsibility stops at your "service point". They don't even use the NEC and have no responsibility beyond the service point other than supplying the specified nominal voltages at the correct frequency.

Your electrician should start with the grounding system and the bonding system in the pool. Electrically they are the same, no matter what Mike Holt says. Copper don't lie.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why, they'd rather electrocute people, then tell the truth and fix something? Here if you have a power problem like this that could be due to many things, including a bad neutral or a utility problem, they will come right out and check their side, up to at least the meter, for free.

Their responsibility stops at

A stray voltage problem can also be coming from a problem with the utility.

Reply to
trader_4

They will say it meets their standard and drive away.

It usually is This is a result of wye distribution and there is little you or they can do about it. A significant amount of circuit current flows through the ground, get used to it. Your grounding system is supposed to establish "your" ground and create a safe situation at your house. Your ground will not be the same as your neighbor. I have seen as much as 35v between 2 buildings a couple hundred feet apart when we were stringing dat cables around a college campus. There is a mile of more of 2Ga neutral on the MV feed to my house from the delta distribution on the main drag. When I showed the PoCo I had 3a on my neutral with the power off they said "gee whiz". There was from 1 to 3 a on the pole grounds. They didn't care. This is the first transformer pole from the main 3p delta distribution

is where they pick off the wye from the 3p delta

gfretwell