Timers for electric range top burners ???

I just put a 30 minute spring wound timer on my old cooktop when my daughter was learning to cook. It only controlled the front two burners but those were the ones she used. It solved the problem. Now my father in law wants one but it is not as easy with a glass top. My old one was metal with spiral burners. I just drilled a hole and put it in front of the line of controls.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is also an issue, surprisingly frequent, for persons with Narcolepsy a nd Cataplexy. So many times the food was burned, and way too many times al so, I have managed to regain function/wakefulness in the nick of time befo re fire resulted. Sad to say my only cooking resource is to 'nuke' everyth ing. Does anyone know of a 200V relay with adequate Amperage rating to set up as a timed "kill" switch for electric stoves?

Reply to
kayak.myles

Get a 40a SSR.

That will run directly off of a solid state timer like a 555 or you can run it off a wall wart plugged into any small spring wound timer. I had one on our cook top when our daughter was learning to use the stove. I used a 15 minute spring wound timer.

Reply to
gfretwell

Forget that, what about plain old forgetfulness? As the population ages, more and more of us will soon be suffering more from various dementias.

Given that almost all modern ranges have electronic controls, I am at a loss to understand why safety regulators have not imposed timeouts on all stovetop controls. Each and every control should have a default (10 minute?) timeout which can be easily bumped up again by pushing an 'increment' button before it times out.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

i thought of this some years ago and bought some heavy duty one hour timers ,(a heavy duty version of a dial bathroom fan timer) and wired one using a shor t heavy duty air conditioner extension cord and nice pvc box, and used it t o contol a cheap hotplate. the dinky hotplate was a drag so i replaced it with a heavy cast iron top double one which doesn't move around, and has a cold burner as a place to put a hot skillet or something if i want to. it w orks great.....saves endless overcooked dishes and burned utensils, as i ju st dial the temperature and the time and walk away. and come back to a coo ked dish whenever. i have fixed up a few friends with this setup. photo o f it on facebook....alexander emerson...photos. in general i see timed bur ners as duh obvious and much handier and safer than the usual. mine works perfectly for me. i'm sorry the rca application didn't take hold. shows how many slow people there still are. it will be reinvented and take hold some time. meanwhile it's as easy to make... as wiring a new duplex outlet, if you can do that.

Reply to
alexanderforbesemerson

I put a spring wound timer on the front 2 burners of our stove when our daughter was dabbling with cooking. It was a 15 minute timer and I said if you are not in front of the stove every 15 minutes you are not cooking. I had to do any slow cooking on the back burners.

Reply to
gfretwell

The Signature range oven has a timer for the burner

Reply to
Brandi