Tile Layout Question

I am laying out vinyl tile for my bathroom and in one section with the molding removed is 26 inches wide from the wall to the base of the shower molding. The wood wall molding is 1" thick so I am left with 2". This section is about 4 ft.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Reply to
Robin2728.com

  1. Find and mark the center lines for both directions of the room
  2. Starting at the intersection of the center lines, dry lay tiles to find best fit. There are two possible starting positions in both directions... (a) edge of tile on line(s) (b) center of tile on line(s) It's OK to have tile edge on one line, tile center on other line. All depends on room and tile size.
Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks for your reply. It is one section of the bathroom that measures

26" wide by 36 long. I am working with 12" tiles.

Robin

Reply to
Robin2728.com

Robin,

dadIO gave you excellent advice. I don't think you are tiling just one small space, the comment has to do with the entire room. The entire room has one floor, any joint has to go all the way across the room each way. Discover or chalk a center line each way. Loose lay the tiles to see how the borders will fall. You want the borders to be close to a 1/2 tile or more. If you have very small borders by starting the pieces on the line, try it again with the center of the tile on the center line.

Reply to
DanG

It is an L shaped room, no matter how I do it I still have the section that measures

26 inches wide x 36 inches long.
Reply to
Robin2728.com

Just for the heck of it, lay out a diamond pattern and see how it looks. Works well with black and white tiles and eaes border problems, might be OK with your pattern. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Try this site for ideas. You can set up the exact measurements for your room and choose different patterns based on tile size. As Joe pointed out, the diamond pattern might work the best.

I'll include the real URL and a TinyURL to the same site...

DerbyDad03

So do what I said and decide on the best way of doing the *entire* area to minimize your problem in the 26x36 area

Reply to
dadiOH