Thick stone wall (no, not

Johny:

J > Just bought this cottage and i wan't to make a big hole in the side of J > it, to put some french doors in. I'm not sure how to approach this job J > as the wall's are at least 3' thick. I think they're dry and the stones J > are made of hard and soft material. Any suggestions would be much J > appreciated.

Might be a job for a contractor: the top of the door needs to supported, probably with some sort of I-beam or L-shaped steel. Reasoning is the stones above the door are currently supported by the stones you are removing.

If the stones are small enough you can probably remove whole stones, possibly replacing some with smaller stones, to get them flush with the new doorway. Otherwise you are going to have to split rock -- not an easy task.

  • The lecture on time travel will be held yesterday.
Reply to
barry martin