The Old Houseworks (and old windows)

I just Googled on this and found only one reference. My own. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it. It was a PBS Saturday morning show in the late 70s produced by the Baltimore (I think) station. It specialized in step-by-step DIY (unlike 'This Old House' which shows mostly how to hire contractors) projects restoring old houses. I distinctly remember one half-hour on taking apart sash windows, re-doing the weights, refurbing, and replacing. There was a 'letters' segment and I also remember one-word advice to someone who asked what authentic Colonial lighting was like. "Dim," said the host.

Is this program a figment of my imagination, or does anyone else remember it?

Reply to
Frogleg

I'm from the Balto area, so I got curious & started Googling on my own. So far, only one reference to the show, but apparently an indication that it did exist.

link only contains one sentence in the "Kids Baffle" section: "This clever and entertaining game show was hosted by veteran broadcaster Bob Callahan, whose resume included "Maryland Weekend" and "Old Houseworks" for MPT, and "Evening Magazine" for WJZ."

Joe F.

Reply to
rb608

.

Thanks. At least I'm not crazy, which is a plus. Too bad this didn't continue. I remember a lot of solid, detailed DIY info, which was brought to mind by the 'old window' query.

Reply to
Frogleg

Check my

for information on the Save Your Wood Windows report.

John

Reply to
John Leeke

Hello, If you're crazy for remembering the show, so am I, and my wife too. We remember the show well, in fact, came across a newsletter from them just a month or so ago. PBS show, good stuff, a lot of stuff that was simple and cheap, but effective. At the time we had just bought a 100 year old house, so the show really came in handy, Best, Sam

Reply to
Gene

:)On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:42:30 GMT, "rb608" :) wrote: :) :)>

:)>"Frogleg" wrote :). :)>> Is this program a figment of my imagination, or does anyone else :)>> remember it? :)>

:)>I'm from the Balto area, so I got curious & started Googling on my own. So :)>far, only one reference to the show, but apparently an indication that it :)>did exist. :)>

:)>The link only contains one sentence in the "Kids Baffle" section: "This :)>clever and entertaining game show was hosted by veteran broadcaster Bob :)>Callahan, whose resume included "Maryland Weekend" and "Old Houseworks" for :)>MPT, and "Evening Magazine" for WJZ." :) :)Thanks. At least I'm not crazy, which is a plus. Too bad this didn't :)continue. I remember a lot of solid, detailed DIY info, which was :)brought to mind by the 'old window' query.

Not a television program, but several articles concerning reglazing, reconstruction, and replacement of old sash weights:

Ev Dugan

Ahhh. Yes. 'This Old House'' made me crazy. "All you need is a $75k house and $300k to pay contractors to renovate it..." 'Houseworks' showed you exactly how a regular ol' person could do a good job working on an old-old (or not so old) house. Small projects and the things to consider. Evidently, there were no books, and it was probably pre-video days. Treasure those newsletters. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

I definitely remember it here in the DC area. THey used to re-run it through the late 80's. I haven't seen it in a long time, though. The host was a bald, older guy, right?

I also miss "The Woodwright's Shop" which I haven't seen around lately.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Roy's still on. Here's the web site for the show:

Click on the TV Schedules link on the top of the page to find your local PBS station and schedule.

Reply to
C G

replying to Buck Turgidson, Lisa Callahan wrote: My dad, Bob Callahan, was the host of the Old Houseworks. It was produced at the Maryland Center for Public Broadcasting, now Maryland Public Television. It was before This Old House and the Maryland Center chose not syndicate. Could have been a national hit. Wish it happened for my dear late father.

Reply to
Lisa Callahan

Yes, I remember that show.. The. host was Bob Callahan..

Reply to
cessna391r