Testing a CO detector

They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor elements of a smoke detector

?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did= (most alarms have no way to test the sensors when you press the test button)

Is there a similar aerosol or method of thoroughly testing a CO detector? I couldn't find anything from a web search

Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

Ya, take it in the garage (with the doors open) and start your push mower. It should go off pretty quick. Those small engines really put it out..

steve

?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did=>

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did=>

CO test gas...

<kjpro

I have been a proponent for years of NEVER EVER buying CO detectors that are not the digital variety. Those who give you the current or past levels of CO in a digital format. If it&#39;s a beep/no beep type and the danger zone is

400 (pick a number), and you only get to 399, it doesn&#39;t go off. I like to know if there&#39;s CO present at all, and if it is just a little, or approaching the beep level.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did=>

Johnstone Supply sells a aerosol to test detectors.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I forget what brand I have -- I can check -- but when I called them with a question I asked about putting it near the furnace to check if it was working and the woman on the phone said not to, that it would overload and ruin the sensor, I think.

?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did=>>

Reply to
mm

What a Bimbo... she must have thought you were going to stick it in the flu. LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:12:55 -0400 from mm :

If that were true, I think you&#39;d have an urgent need to repair the furnace.

Reply to
Stan Brown

You want to buy some INCENSE and light a piece. Put it in your stove&#39;s oven along with your detector.

(DON&#39;T turn the oven on - DUH!)

A digital meter should definitely reflect a substantial peak after a few minutes.

I&#39;m not sure whether a "go-no-go" detector would trip but I suspect it would.

If you can&#39;t find incense, put a few lite cigaretes in.

Reply to
John Gilmer

What, you don&#39;t like your mac-n-cheese to smell like patchouli?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Son of a bitch changed his E mail addy. Again. Had to do a new filter. Pathetic loon.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

His ISP musta terminated him. LOL!!

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Grin, find a friend who smokes and have them blow smoke at it. Should go off pretty quick. Then you wont have a oven smell to deal with.

Reply to
Cshenk

Don&#39;t underestimate the ingenuity of people. I once watched someone stick a very sensitive CO meter probe into the exhaust pipe of a car to "test it" even after he was told it would destroy it because the CO concentration was probably 1,000 times the design range of the unit.

Reply to
George

I have an entryway right near where I back my car in (no garage). I just plug in one of the CO detectors in the entryway and run the car for a few minutes. I get a readout very quickly.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---