Temp sensor in range oven

My 4 yr old Kenmmore Gas range started acting weird yesterday.

Set it and it would come up to temperature-- but wouldn't maintain the temp-- it essentially just went off, though the indicator light stayed lit.

I cooked a roast by turning it off and back on every 15 minutes or so for a couple hours.

I ordered a $30 temperature sensor from repairclinic.com. It will be here Wed--

Just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Now that you've included that it's a gas range, that brings up a whole new batch of possible issues. If it's coming up the the correct temp and then shutting off, the temp sensor is ok. Is this a pilot type or intermittent ignition type of oven? Your issue here would seem to be in getting the burner reignited when the temp has dropped by the hysteresis amount.

Reply to
Pete C.

My other post was on the cooking group-- I wasn't even thinking of asking abut it until you made me doubt my original diagnosis-- Small world. I only read 3-4 groups these days and see a lot of the same folks on more than one.

It has the ignition coil.

That's how I see it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Of course when I go to check it today, it is working. Turn the oven on to 350 & it goes to 350 & I hear the oven turn off. It goes up to

364- drops down to 350, and fires up again.

It has gone through several cycles now. Maintaining 350-372 when read on the rack with the remote thermometer. The last couple cycles it goes a bit higher before dropping again and doesn't drop all the way to 350. [I just remembered that I have the pizza stone in there-- so that might be throwing the temp off from 'top rack' to 'wherever the sensor is'. ]

It looks like I'm good for now-- Is the fact that it cleared itself indicative of something? [I'll poke around for loose wires or dirty grounds tomorrow]

Jim .

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Loose connections would certainly be the first thing I'd check for. It never hurts to make sure the connections are tight. If it uses one of the "hot surface" igniters, I've heard they can develop fractures that allow them to work the first time from a cold state, but fail later when they are hot. Spark type ignitions can have borderline spark gaps that miss when things are how and slightly further apart depending on the mounting design.

I keep a pizza stone in my oven full time. I like the temperature stabilization and also the shielding from direct radiant energy from the element it provides. I have a (fan forced) convection oven, so temperatures are relatively even.

Reply to
Pete C.

We spent a 60$ service call to find out that the automatic delayed start dial was set wrong. We've never used it, and it must have been pushed over to the wrong setting while being cleaned. Check and make sure it's not something that silly. We sure did feel foolish, but were glad nothing had to be replaced. Just my 2 cents worth~~ Nanzi

Reply to
Nan

Our oven has both an igniter and once lit, a pilot light. The pilot light insures that it will re-ignite the flame when it goes to a low setting. Also there is an "eye" like in a furnace, to tell if there is flame there. On others it's just a heat sensor; hot, it's OK; not hot, it shuts fire off.

Any help?

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to