Telephone Wiring Question

I have 2 separate lines - one to the upper floor and the other to the lower floor, so marked at the Network Interface Box. I have cancelled service to the lower-floor lines and would like to hook up the lower-floor jacks to the working line. Seems like the easiest way to do this would be at the NIB. Any ideas how I might accomplish this? Alternate suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks.

KKhan

Reply to
KublaiKhan

For each set of contacts at the NIB there are two wires that come from all of your internal phone jacks (on *your* side of the interface) simply take the two from your lower floor (LF) and move them to the upper floor (UF) screw terminals. Observe the polarity that exists: Assuming the 4 screws run vertically, move the top LF to the top of UF, the bottom of LF to the bottom of UF. You can do the same thing any place along the circuit where you have access to the 4 wires, it doesn't have to necessarily be at the NIB.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Hi, Top - Tip Bottom - Ring Ground - Sleeve Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not quite sure I see your point?! Conventional telco wiring is 2-wire, a "pair", tip and ring. No grounding involved in basic residential phone wiring. ?.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Right, the connection between the upstairs and downstairs wiring can be done anywhere, but make sure that at the NIB, the now-unused connection between the downstairs lines and the second incoming line is severed. Otherwise you may get interference problems.

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Most phone company boxes I've worked on are easy enough to get into. Around here the residential ones open with a 3/8 nut driver, and it's real easy to move the indoor wiring wires from the one set of posts to the other.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

K > I have 2 separate lines - one to the upper floor and the other to the K > lower floor, so marked at the Network Interface Box. I have cancelled K > service to the lower-floor lines and would like to hook up the K > lower-floor jacks to the working line. Seems like the easiest way to K > do this would be at the NIB. Any ideas how I might accomplish this? K > Alternate suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks.

Whittling down to the basics: the upstairs Red and Green wires need to be connected to the downstairs Red and Green wires. (Red and green are the traditional Line 1 colours. There are also Blue/Blue-white pairs as well as other options.)

Whatever colour is "Red Upstairs" needs to be connected to "Red Downstairs"; same for Green. I would disconnect the telephone company's feed from the outside to prevent possible future problems should this line accidentally become active.

  • I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.
Reply to
barry martin

Yep... and also they are connected to the "center" 2 conductors of the

4 prong modular jack, so where does the top and bottom come into the picture?
Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Hi, Maybe looking at the plug? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just telling you to maintain the relationship between them. Put the uppermost ("top") one to the uppermost ("top") position on the other location when you move them. In other words, don't cross your wires when you make the move.

current correct wrong wired move move L 1 1 1 I 1 2 A 2 2 N 3 B 3 3 E 4 4 4 L 1 1 1 I 2 2 2 A 2 B N 3 3 B 3 A E 4 4 4

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I would also disconnect the two wires coming in on the disconnected number. Then I would simply jumper the two wires from the disconnected number to the remaining number and I would only do this in the NIB - outside in my case.

Pj

Reply to
PJx